- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Sep 2020
Architecture of Tooting
Tooting developed as a settlement on the old coach route out of London to the south and west. The neighbourhood was still predominantly rural until the late 19th century when the railway arrived and development started in earnest.
During the next 20 years, many fine villas were demolished to make way for streets of typical Victorian terraced housing. In 1926, Tooting’s transport links were improved by the opening of two Underground stations on the Northern Line, both designed by Charles Holden.
There are rare examples of early Georgian development on Upper Tooting Road, and groups of Arts and Crafts-style homes on Nightingale Lane. The bulk of Tooting’s housing, however, consists of Victorian and Edwardian terraces, 1920s cottages and purpose-built maisonettes, together with pockets of new build apartments.
The highlights of Tooting's architecture include:
 Tooting market
 Springfield University Hospital
Springfield University Hospital is a psychiatric hospital which opened in 1840 as the Surrey County Pauper Lunatic Asylum.
The asylum was built in the Tudor style, with twisted chimneys similiar to those at Hampton Court Palace (these were later removed, being considered dangerous, and not replaced). The facade was patterned with variegated brickwork and subtle angles.
In its time, Springfield boasted state-of-the-art design features such as steam which was circulated through the galleries to keep the hospital at a constant temperature and hot air which was injected through the floors.
The main building is Grade II listed and currently on Heritage England's 'At Risk' register. Many of the original hospital buildings are now disused and the Trust hopes to sell most of the site for redevelopment.
 Tooting Bec Lido
This open air swimming pool, located on Tooting Common, was built in 1906 and measures 100 x 33 yards, making it the second largest pool in the UK. It contains one million gallons of unheated fresh water. It was modernised in the 1930s with an Art Deco style, hence the iconic cubicle doors with alternating colours.
The King's Head is a Grade II listed pub on Tooting High Street. It was designed and built in 1896 by W. M. Brunton, a prolific designer of public houses, and is considered to be his masterpiece with his least altered interior.
The pub is characterised by its florid symmetrical composition and brashness of detail typical of late-19th century gin palaces. Built of red brick with stucco ornamentation and a slate roof that is steep and hipped, rising to a dome.
 Sivayogam Wedding Hall
 Gala bingo
The Gala Bingo hall is a spectacular Grade I listed former 1930s cinema and concert hall, which once played host to Frank Sinatra and The Rolling Stones.
The heavily gilded foyer is lined with Gothic mirrors and fake leaded windows, along with a pair of sweeping marble staircases.The striking auditorium includes elaborate cathedral porches, gilded arches, medieval murals and glass chandeliers.
It is home to one of the last few working Wurlitzer organs in London, although its chambers are buried beneath the stage.
All photographs by Michael Brooks.
Featured articles and news
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.
What type of cool roof is most suitable?
Active Travel programme prioritises cyclists and pedestrians.
CIAT issues caution for use of new standard.
Industry leaders discuss climate change, the economy and other influences.
The building manager is key to operations.
The impact Scotland’s dynamic coast has on the historic environment.
IHBC announces role in new APPG.