- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 08 Dec 2014
Self-build home: Prepare a concept design
In this stage, we attribute design activities to ‘designers’. These may be architects and engineers, a design and build contractor, or a kit house supplier. If a kit house supplier is only supplying the house itself, additional design consultants may be required.
Concept design is the first design stage. Some designers will differentiate between 'concept design' and 'scheme design'. In this case, the 'concept' is the initial design idea (or outline design), whereas the 'scheme' develops the concept, taking on board more functional and practical considerations.
Design is an iterative and collaborative process, it requires close involvement of all those with an interest in the completed home. This is important not only to ensure a suitable design is developed, but also to make certain that everyone has ‘bought into’ the design and it is not just one person’s vision.
Developing the brief.
It is likely that the project brief will continue to develop as the concept design is prepared. It is important that these developing requirements are written down so there is a record of what has been agreed. Development of the brief might include:
- Preferred style and materials.
- Requirement for spaces to be open plan or enclosed.
- Ability to operate parts of the building separately (for example an office, children’s areas or guest rooms).
- Sound insulation and sound absorption requirements.
- Provision of en-suite or shared bathrooms, dressing rooms and so on.
- Accessibility requirements for people with disabilities or impaired mobility.
- Access to and views of gardens and the surrounding landscape.
- Entry spaces and reception spaces.
- Fireplaces, wood burning stoves and so on.
- Hard v soft floor coverings.
- Security, intruder alarms, cctv, door and gate entry systems and post facilities.
- Audio visual, ICT, entertainment and other equipment requirements.
- Specialist requirements for finishes, fixtures and fittings.
- Orientation in relation to the sun, prevailing winds and views.
- Natural lighting.
- Artificial lighting (general and feature) and controls.
- Comfort conditions (radiant temperature, air temperature, natural and mechanical ventilation and so on).
- Storage requirements and utility rooms.
- Internal and external waste storage and collection.
- The possibility of including enabling works for future extensions.
- Galleries and balconies.
- External landscaping such as; planting, seating areas, drainage, sprinklers and taps, lighting and power, paths, screens, fences, walls, shading and so on.
Developing the concept design.
The concept design should develop to include:
- A site plan, including; access, car parking, hard surfaces, landscape, water features, art and so on.
- Floor plans, sections and elevations.
- Analysis of the relationships between related functions.
- Building services strategy (heating, ventilation, electrical supply, lighting and so on).
- Outline specification describing the main materials and workmanship required.
- Schedules of accommodation.
- A strategy for obtaining planning permission.
- Procurement strategy.
- Programme, construction methodology and logistics.
- Approximate quantities of the main materials proposed.
- A cost plan (including site preliminaries).
The brief should be frozen at the end of the concept design stage and any subsequent changes that materially alter the cost should be carefully considered by the self builder for approval or rejection.
Featured articles and news
Tackling domestic abuse.
Disallowed costs vs. defined costs. Which is which?
Coping with the loss of local authority conservation services.
Remedial works could save the NHS £95 million a year.
One of Europe’s largest waterfront transformations.
How BIM was used to produce an information model of a home.
Skyscrapers of the future will be built of wood.
How to increase your chances of winning.
Benefits, not cost, should be the focus.
Formula E drives electric vehicle market forward.
Moorfields building sets UK pile-loading record.