- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 17 May 2021
A façade is the most public face of a building, it is of vital importance because it can attract customers, users and so on to come to a building. Good façade design improves the overall image a place, it promotes togetherness, business activities, vibrancy and so on.
- Façade form, refers to a shape or configuration of a façade.
- Façade elements refers to decorative architectural elements that include cornices, architraves, windows and other elements that can be raised and contoured thus supplying the façade plasticity.
- Façade details are characteristic features that enhance its aesthetics and give character. Façade details may have an architectural styled, whether modern, postmodern, classical, gothic and so on.
- Façade materials, refers to materials used in the construction and design of façade. They range from masonry, metal, glasses, EIFS (Exterior Insulation and Finish System); stucco, cementitious (Fiber cement siding), precast concrete and so on.
- Façade texture, is the property of smoothness, softness, coarseness of a surface or the structural character of a solid object or granular material. Façade pattern may also be considered as a texture.
- Façade finishes are materials installed along the wall surface to enhance its thermal and weather resistance and amplify its aesthetics. Façade finishes include brick finishes, wood, metal, ceramic, concrete, composites, stone, metal, plastic and so on.
- Façade styles and character, refers to the architectural style of the design -classifying buildings into semantic categories belonging to certain periods, regions, and cultural influences. Façade styles comprise of arrangement of architectural structural elements like windows, domes, towers, columns, doors, eaves, etc.
- Windows and doors may cover a large area compared to other elements. Simple and clear windows can add to attractiveness of the façade, repetition and scale of both windows and doors create a pattern which if not well designed can create a cluttered appearance.
- Façade colour, should be considered in respect to sunlight, context and so on, this helps to determine how the colour will appear to the eyes. A well-designed façade complements and responds to architectural character and details.
- Lighting, Illuminates the façade surfaces, signs, doors, windows and so on. Flashing, pulsating and moving lights draw attention to façade.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.