BRE and GRESB introduce new efficiencies for reporting Green Building Certifications
GRESB is an investor-driven organisation that is transforming the way we assess the environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance of real assets globally, including real estate portfolios and infrastructure assets.
On 28 Mar 2018, it was announced that BRE and GRESB have teamed up to introduce new efficiencies for reporting Green Building Certifications to the GRESB Real Estate Assessment. The collaboration sees the integration of the BREEAM Application Programming Interface (API) within the GRESB Portal. The API link enables you to locate, select and match valid BREEAM certificate entries to the specific assets within your GRESB portfolio(s), thus providing another layer of transparency to your GRESB reporting.
Within the GRESB Portal, GRESB Participants can link Building Certifications via the ‘Certification’ tab within the Asset Portal. Based on the information provided, the Asset Portal searches BREEAM’s certification database for certified assets in close proximity to the given address. A list of certified assets is then displayed for the user/participant to select the correct certificate associated to the building in question.
This process enhances your asset-level reporting and helps to outline which assets have received a ‘Green Building Certification’. As a GRESB Participant you will be able to demonstrate the assets within your portfolio(s) holding a valid BREEAM certification.
The ease and convenience will improve the reporting process to the GRESB Real Estate Assessment and will help to move towards a more automated process in the future.
This new functionality will be live for the GRESB 2018 reporting period and marks the first step in connecting GRESB to the BREEAM certification dataset. Further functionality will be added over time.
There is a strong synergy between GRESB as a portfolio-based reporting tool and BREEAM as an asset-based reporting and certification methodology. BREEAM and GRESB’s long-term aim is to increase the efficiency of the data reporting and provide clients with an effective means of identifying and improving sustainability performance
To help us to continue to improve reporting efficiencies between BREEAM & GRESB, we want to understand your user experience. If you utilise this new functionality in your GRESB reporting, please provide us with feedback by using the contact details below:
Please note, the selection of a valid BREEAM certificate in the GRESB Real Estate Assessment Portal does not constitute total verification/validation by BRE or GRESB that the asset in question is fully certified for the duration of the GRESB Assessment cycle.
BREEAM is the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for masterplanning projects, infrastructure and buildings. It recognises and reflects the value in higher performing assets across the built environment lifecycle, from new construction to in-use and refurbishment. BREEAM does this through third party certification of the assessment of an asset’s environmental, social and economic sustainability performance, using standards developed by BRE. This means BREEAM-rated developments are more sustainable environments that enhance the well-being of the people who live and work in them, help protect natural resources and make for more attractive property investments.
This article originally appeared in BRE Buzz. It was written by Sam Turner.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- An introduction to BREEAM
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Trust.
- BREEAM and CEEQUAL.
- BREEAM In-Use International.
- BREEAM USA.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Code for Sustainable Homes.
- Iran - market potential for BREEAM.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.
- Ska rating.
- WELL and BREEAM align.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation (ac)
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance (ac)
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems (ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities (ac)
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring (ac)
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts (ac)
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste (ac)
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.