- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Jun 2017
BIM 360 Field
Building Information Modelling (BIM) is a very broad term that describes the process of creating and managing digital information about a built asset such as building, bridge, highway, tunnel and so on. Fundamentally, the purpose of BIM is to ensure that appropriate information is created in a suitable format at the right time so that better decisions can be made throughout the design, construction and operation of built assets.
This provides new ways of managing field processes, such as:
- Quality, safety and commissioning checklists.
- Distribution of plans and drawings.
- Mobile 2D and BIM construction document access.
Some of the features of BIM 360 Field include:
Quality and rework:
- Identify trends and minimise contractor risk from gathering quality assurance and quality control information.
- Work-to-complete lists for trades and other parties.
- Monitor the current status of project issues.
- Compile quality, safety or commissioning checklist results.
- Inspections can be faster and more consistent through pre-configured checklists.
- Company’s data can be used to drive education and job site procedures, improving transparency of overall project safety.
- Implement a safety management process.
Commissioning and handover:
- Streamline commissioning by collecting equipment and component detail in the field on an iPad.
- Documentation in digital form for owner handover.
Manage field workflow:
- Provide a platform for all field and management users.
- Reduce trips to and from site to get correct or updated information.
- Access the latest field data whether online or offline.
- Share document changes with the project team.
- Schedule work and deadlines.
- Store and share drawings, plans, images, specifications, and so on.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM 360 Glue.
- BIM articles.
- BIM Toolkit.
- File formats for BIM.
- Industry Foundation Classes IFC.
- Virtual construction model.
 External resources
- Autodesk - BIM 360 Field
Featured articles and news
The admissibility of evidence.
How many can you name? 37 anyone?
CIOB respond to the points-based system.
When is the weather considered 'exceptionally adverse'?
ECA backs call for a rolling programme of rail electrification.
What does 'curtilage' mean and why does it matter?
Our duty to prevent harm and protect each other.
A quality perspective.
If buildings were people, they would be just starting to walk on two legs.
Air filtration and clean air standards.
The Dukes of Normandy and the second world war.