- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Jun 2017
BIM 360 Field
Building Information Modelling (BIM) is a very broad term that describes the process of creating and managing digital information about a built asset such as building, bridge, highway, tunnel and so on. Fundamentally, the purpose of BIM is to ensure that appropriate information is created in a suitable format at the right time so that better decisions can be made throughout the design, construction and operation of built assets.
BIM 360™ Field is a cloud-based collaboration product for field management and reporting, developed by Autodesk.
This provides new ways of managing field processes, such as:
- Quality, safety and commissioning checklists.
- Distribution of plans and drawings.
- Mobile 2D and BIM construction document access.
Some of the features of BIM 360 Field include:
Quality and rework:
- Identify trends and minimise contractor risk from gathering quality assurance and quality control information.
- Work-to-complete lists for trades and other parties.
- Monitor the current status of project issues.
- Compile quality, safety or commissioning checklist results.
- Inspections can be faster and more consistent through pre-configured checklists.
- Company’s data can be used to drive education and job site procedures, improving transparency of overall project safety.
- Implement a safety management process.
- Streamline commissioning by collecting equipment and component detail in the field on an iPad.
- Documentation in digital form for owner handover.
Manage field workflow:
- Provide a platform for all field and management users.
- Reduce trips to and from site to get correct or updated information.
- Access the latest field data whether online or offline.
- Share document changes with the project team.
- Schedule work and deadlines.
- Store and share drawings, plans, images, specifications, and so on.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM 360 Glue.
- BIM articles.
- BIM Toolkit.
- File formats for BIM.
- Industry Foundation Classes IFC.
- Virtual construction model.
 External resources
- Autodesk - BIM 360 Field
Featured articles and news
From the decorative to the utilitarian, and from the photographed to the forgotten.
New BRE book considers the progression from project-based knowledge creation to whole-life urban knowledge management.
This CIOB article explores the concept of value in building design and construction.
BREEAM and Measurabl announce integration to improve the financial performance of commercial real estate.
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners' release new images of soon-to-open 3WTC tower in New York.
A document can be called a bond or a guarantee. Does the name matter and what is the difference between them?
New briefing note is launched focusing on increasing knowledge of housing that promotes health and wellbeing.
Arbitration is a private, contractual form of dispute resolution used in the construction industry.
The European Parliament has approved a revised Energy Performance of Buildings directive.
One in six MPs supports the ring-fencing of retentions as proposed in the 'Aldous Bill'.
A stakeholder is anyone who has an interest in the process or outcome of a construction project.