- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Jul 2018
The role of a site supervisor generally involves the management and supervision of a construction site in accordance with health and safety guidelines. It is the responsibility of the site supervisor to assess hazards, determine risks, conduct regular inspections, and maintain a safety programme.
The responsibilities of a site supervisor may include:
- Supervising workers, subcontractors and work activities.
- Preparing and presenting site inductions, safety briefings and toolbox talks.
- Assessing and managing safety hazards.
- Ensuring appropriate site rules and welfare facilities are in place.
- Carrying out regular inspections.
- Helping project managers to plan the work programme.
- Helping co-ordinate deliveries of materials, plant and equipment.
- Completing records for site reports.
- Attending site management meetings.
- Carrying out regular inspections to ensure compliance with relevant legal requirements, processes and procedures.
- Raising safety concerns at the appropriate level.
- Resolving problems and implementing improvements.
- Organising and overseeing external inspections, such as with a health and safety inspector.
- Providing emergency first aid if required.
Relevant skills of a site supervisor include:
- A positive attitude.
- The ability to communicate with, motivate, and if necessary discipline the workforce.
- The ability to understand drawings and other contract documents.
- A good understanding of safety procedures.
- First aid training.
- Organisational skills.
- The ability to mediate to resolve issues.
- An understanding of legal responsibilities.
- An understanding of welfare and environmental issues.
- An understanding of occupational health and behavioural safety issues.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved inspector.
- Construction logistics manager.
- Construction site personnel.
- Construction superintendent.
- First aider.
- General foreman.
- Health and safety inspector.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Safety briefing.
- Scheduling construction activities.
- Site administrator.
- Site foreman.
- Site induction.
- Site inspector.
- Toolbox talk.
 External resources
Featured articles and news
The situation with the insurance of vulnerable properties.
New standards for homes
Competition to address the grand challenges of future housing needs.
The redevelopment of Leicester's sewerage system by Joseph Gordon.
A standard design for manses in the Highland districts.
The Prairie School style.
Adopting SuDS alongside traditional sewerage infrastructure.
Choosing the optimal bid strategy.
New Scottish guide on managing climate change risks.
Willowbrook Care Home