- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 02 Sep 2020
The role of a site supervisor generally involves the management and supervision of a construction site in accordance with health and safety guidelines. It is the responsibility of the site supervisor to assess hazards, determine risks, conduct regular inspections, and maintain a safety programme.
The responsibilities of a site supervisor may include:
- Supervising workers, subcontractors and work activities.
- Preparing and presenting site inductions, safety briefings and toolbox talks.
- Assessing and managing safety hazards.
- Ensuring appropriate site rules and welfare facilities are in place.
- Carrying out regular inspections.
- Helping project managers to plan the work programme.
- Helping co-ordinate deliveries of materials, plant and equipment.
- Completing records for site reports.
- Attending site management meetings.
- Carrying out regular inspections to ensure compliance with relevant legal requirements, processes and procedures.
- Raising safety concerns at the appropriate level.
- Resolving problems and implementing improvements.
- Organising and overseeing external inspections, such as with a health and safety inspector.
- Providing emergency first aid if required.
Relevant skills of a site supervisor include:
- A positive attitude.
- The ability to communicate with, motivate, and if necessary discipline the workforce.
- The ability to understand drawings and other contract documents.
- A good understanding of safety procedures.
- First aid training.
- Organisational skills.
- The ability to mediate to resolve issues.
- An understanding of legal responsibilities.
- An understanding of welfare and environmental issues.
- An understanding of occupational health and behavioural safety issues.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved inspector.
- Construction logistics manager.
- Construction site personnel.
- Construction superintendent.
- First aider.
- General foreman.
- Health and safety inspector.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Safety briefing.
- Scheduling construction activities.
- Site administrator.
- Site foreman.
- Site induction.
- Site inspector.
- Toolbox talk.
Featured articles and news
A must read for all built environment professionals.
A brief description of time in the sun.
Given by ICE President Ed McCann.
Two new research reports published by APM.
50% off APM Associate membership for Designing Buildings users.
A commentary from the insurance perspective.
In brief with further links.
A definitive book on a pioneer of green architecture.
Using heritage as a catalyst for reviving historic centres.
Declaration prioritising sustainable urbanisation adopted.
Some brief words about the actuator.
After 34 years at the Institute.
To support the next generation of engineers.
CIAT reporting from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Making sustainable construction number one priority.
Interview with ECA CEO.
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !