- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Jul 2018
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
The site foreman (also sometimes known as construction foreman) is a key member of the contractor team, responsible for organising construction works on site. They perform a pivotal role in the success of a project. One of the most important facets of the job is to ensure the health and safety of all personnel on the site.
 Key duties
The site foreman will undertake a range of duties:
- Organising tools, plant, machinery and materials.
- Organising workers.
- Supervising construction activities.
- Identifying materials and equipment that may be required.
- Ensuring construction is carried out accurately, following plans and specifications.
- Ensuring that contractor activities are properly co-ordinated.
- Ensuring that tasks are completed on time and to the required quality standards.
- Taking responsibility for health and safety on site.
- Training employees.
- Maintaining detailed and accurate site reports.
- Communicating project progress to key stakeholders, such as the client, architects, engineers, and so on.
A site foreman will require:
- The ability to work to tight deadlines and budgets.
- Good communication and team working skills.
- The ability to build relationships across a wide range of professionals.
- An thorough understanding of the Building Regulations.
- An understanding of health and safety and first aid.
- An appropriate Construction Skills Certificate Scheme (CSCS) card.
- Site Supervisor’s Safety Training Scheme (SSTS) or Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) qualification.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Clerk of works.
- Commercial manager.
- Considerate Constructors Scheme.
- Construction logistics manager.
- Construction progress meeting.
- Construction superintendent.
- Contract administrator.
- General foreman.
- Health and safety inspector.
- Principal contractor.
- Quality control.
- Site administrator.
- Site induction.
- Site inspection.
- Site inspector.
- Site supervisor.
 External references
Featured articles and news
The new NEC4 contract creates a true procurement alliance arrangement for all stakeholders.
Andrew Strauss talks about performance and team building at the 2018 BSRIA Briefing.
Applications have to be in by the end of the week.
Reflections on the 5th Annual Global Congress of Knowledge Economy, held in Qingdao, China.
An artist finds ruined and decaying buildings a source of inspiration for his work. Book review.
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.
New consultation announced on a specialist Housing Court to settle landlord-tenant disputes.