- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Mar 2018
Construction logistics manager
Logistics management is the process of planning, implementing and controlling supply chain functions between different locations. Effective logistics management can significantly improve construction efficiency and productivity.
The role of the construction logistics manager is primarily the organisation of resources so that contract deadlines can be achieved. The role encompasses several different areas of responsibility, including:
Planning and programming
- Planning the set-up of the site so that the workforce, plant and materials can move around efficiently and safely.
- Planning the use of key assets such as scaffolding, to adhere with the programme.
- Organising routes through the site, off-loading points, and so on.
- Ensuring the security of the site.
- Traffic management.
- Installing and managing welfare facilities and other site accommodation.
- Ensuring the site is well lit.
- Liaising with contractors and subcontractors in accordance with the programme.
- Ensuring materials are brought to site as and when required.
- Ensuring waste is kept to a minimum and that disposal procedures are implemented.
Communications and safety
- Ensuring the organisation’s health and safety policies are implemented and followed.
- Making sure that safety equipment such as PPE is available on site.
- Producing method statements, risk assessments, and so on.
- Maintaining fire points and equipment.
- Creating and maintaining an information communication system around the site, such as site signage.
- Liaising with project suppliers and managing all movements to and from the site.
- Creating and maintaining an organisational delivery management system.
- Planning and maximising the use of delivery vehicles.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Commercial manager.
- Construction consolidation centre (CCC).
- Construction inventory management.
- Lean construction.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Logistics management.
- Programme for building design and construction.
- Resource management.
- Scheduling construction activities.
- Site foreman.
- Site inspector.
- Site layout plan.
- Site storage.
- Site supervisor.
- Supply chain management.
 External resources
Featured articles and news
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.
New consultation announced on a specialist Housing Court to settle landlord-tenant disputes.
ICE responds to a transport consultation advising the government to make decisions enabling more inclusive cities.
BRE and Loughborough University complete first phase refurbishment of demonstration home.
How the risk of collapse of fibrous plaster ceilings is being addressed in theatres.
If you’re a great writer and have practical experience of the construction industry, it could be you.
Frustrated by long documents or technical jargon? Put off by sign-up forms or costs? Take this 5 min survey to help improve construction knowledge.