- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 29 Oct 2020
Construction logistics manager
Logistics management is the process of planning, implementing and controlling supply chain functions between different locations. Effective logistics management can significantly improve construction efficiency and productivity.
The role of the construction logistics manager is primarily the organisation of resources so that contract deadlines can be achieved. The role encompasses several different areas of responsibility, including:
- Planning the set-up of the site so that the workforce, plant and materials can move around efficiently and safely.
- Planning the use of key assets such as scaffolding, to adhere with the programme.
- Organising routes through the site, off-loading points, and so on.
- Ensuring the security of the site.
- Traffic management.
- Installing and managing welfare facilities and other site accommodation.
- Ensuring the site is well lit.
- Liaising with contractors and subcontractors in accordance with the programme.
- Ensuring materials are brought to site as and when required.
- Ensuring waste is kept to a minimum and that disposal procedures are implemented.
Communications and safety
- Ensuring the organisation’s health and safety policies are implemented and followed.
- Making sure that safety equipment such as PPE is available on site.
- Producing method statements, risk assessments, and so on.
- Maintaining fire points and equipment.
- Creating and maintaining an information communication system around the site, such as site signage.
- Liaising with project suppliers and managing all movements to and from the site.
- Creating and maintaining an organisational delivery management system.
- Planning and maximising the use of delivery vehicles.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Commercial manager.
- Construction consolidation centre (CCC).
- Construction inventory management.
- Lean construction.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Logistics management.
- Programme for building design and construction.
- Resource management.
- Scheduling construction activities.
- Site foreman.
- Site inspector.
- Site layout plan.
- Site logistics.
- Site storage.
- Site supervisor.
- Supply chain management.
Featured articles and news
Improving facilities, accessibility and overall appearance.
Free download of TG 12/2021 available.
TESP works with The Youth Group to form skill sharing network.
Big tech collaborates on platform for the built environment.
Letter signed by 21 organisations sent to MHCLG.
A look at the Government's strategic approach.
Steps to help reduce the spread of infection inside buildings.
This social media-centred hobby can be both dangerous and illegal.
Millwork wall treatment with a long and illustrious history.
HSE introduces cumulative exposure calculator.
The Edwardians and their houses.
Cut off from civilian life for over 900 years.
Gaining green support from the carbon giants.
Click the button to subscribe.