- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 26 Jun 2020
Construction logistics manager
Logistics management is the process of planning, implementing and controlling supply chain functions between different locations. Effective logistics management can significantly improve construction efficiency and productivity.
The role of the construction logistics manager is primarily the organisation of resources so that contract deadlines can be achieved. The role encompasses several different areas of responsibility, including:
- Planning the set-up of the site so that the workforce, plant and materials can move around efficiently and safely.
- Planning the use of key assets such as scaffolding, to adhere with the programme.
- Organising routes through the site, off-loading points, and so on.
- Ensuring the security of the site.
- Traffic management.
- Installing and managing welfare facilities and other site accommodation.
- Ensuring the site is well lit.
- Liaising with contractors and subcontractors in accordance with the programme.
- Ensuring materials are brought to site as and when required.
- Ensuring waste is kept to a minimum and that disposal procedures are implemented.
Communications and safety
- Ensuring the organisation’s health and safety policies are implemented and followed.
- Making sure that safety equipment such as PPE is available on site.
- Producing method statements, risk assessments, and so on.
- Maintaining fire points and equipment.
- Creating and maintaining an information communication system around the site, such as site signage.
- Liaising with project suppliers and managing all movements to and from the site.
- Creating and maintaining an organisational delivery management system.
- Planning and maximising the use of delivery vehicles.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Commercial manager.
- Construction consolidation centre (CCC).
- Construction inventory management.
- Lean construction.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Logistics management.
- Programme for building design and construction.
- Resource management.
- Scheduling construction activities.
- Site foreman.
- Site inspector.
- Site layout plan.
- Site logistics.
- Site storage.
- Site supervisor.
- Supply chain management.
 External resources
Featured articles and news
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.