- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 27 Mar 2020
Construction inventory management
Construction inventory management is a means by which construction companies and suppliers can keep track of materials, workforce, equipment and plant. This is particularly important when a construction company has multiple projects to manage, as efficient scheduling can become very complicated.
A well-managed inventory can be critical to profitability as delayed, misplaced or lost items can incur avoidable delays and unnecessary costs. A project timeline, planned in advance, with a full inventory of the required materials, labour, equipment and so on is a vital part of the project planning process.
This might also include:
- An inventory of tools, including manufacturer details, instructions, parts requirements, and so on.
- A consumable inventory (i.e. nuts, bolts, screws, nails, drill bits, wire, batteries, and so on) with a system that alerts when supplies are lower.
- Automatic scheduling of preventative maintenance for tools, plant and equipment, helping to ensure that unnecessary down-time for repairs is avoided.
- An inventory app, downloaded to operatives’ phones.
- Radio-frequency identification (RFID) and barcode solutions.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
New low and high tech tools enter the marketplace.
Report looks at mental health in the built environment.
Radiant wall heating method to control rising damp.
What future infrastructure provision might look like.
Highlighting the health benefits of home improvement.
Pavilions for music, entertainment, and leisure. Book review.
Broadening our understanding of Dublin’s chequered social history.
The charm of London's Cabmen's shelters.
Future Weather Files research tool looking for feedback.
Exploring the Colour Rendering Index.
Why it's important to find out what went wrong.
ECA reviews the shape of the construction job market.
Why proper room acoustics make a difference.
Initiative puts gas networks on the path to net zero.
WICE Woman Architectural Technologist of the Year 2019.
Traditional low-energy approaches to comfort.
Revisiting the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet in Ashford.