- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 27 Sep 2019
The New Rules of Measurement (NRM) are published by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), prepared by the Quantity Surveying and Construction Professional Group. They provide a standard set of measurement rules for estimating, cost planning, procurement and whole-life costing for construction projects. Adopting a standard methodology such as NRM facilitates consistency and benchmarking and helps avoid disputes.
- NRM1: Order of cost estimating and cost planning for capital building works.
- NRM2: Detailed measurement for building works (replacing the Standard Method of Measurement, seventh edition SMM7).
- NRM 3: Order of cost estimating and cost planning for building maintenance works.
NRM3 can be used for:
- Initial order of cost estimates during preparation stages.
- Cost plans during the design development and pre-construction stages.
- Asset-specific cost plans during the pre-construction phases.
It also offers guidance about:
- The procurement and cost control of maintenance works.
- The measurement of other items associated with maintenance works that are not included in work items.
The rules for NRM3 follow the same framework and premise as NRM1: Order of cost estimating and cost planning for capital building works.
NB The New Rules of Measurement are accompanied by the 'Black Book', the QS and construction standards. Together they provide a suite of tools that will help the construction industry work more collaboratively and consistently.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Bill of quantities.
- Common Arrangement of Work Sections (CAWS).
- Comparison of SMM7 with NRM2.
- Cost plans.
- External works.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Schedule of work.
- Standard Method of Measurement (SMM7).
- Tender documentation.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Putting the rubber IN the road.
Guidance available on latest update from MHCLG.
Style over substance. Book review.
Preventing water penetration using lime grout and injection mortars.
UK Finance names top 10 fraudster tricks to avoid.
Experience Exchange Report collates operating benchmarking data.
The origins of the National Scenic Area designation.
BRE China makes significant announcements.
Compression keeps cork blocks in place.
Encouraging diversity and inclusion in the construction industry.