- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Sep 2020
The New Rules of Measurement (NRM) are published by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), prepared by the Quantity Surveying and Construction Professional Group. They provide a standard set of measurement rules for estimating, cost planning, procurement and whole-life costing for construction projects. Adopting a standard methodology such as NRM facilitates consistency and benchmarking and helps avoid disputes.
- NRM1: Order of cost estimating and cost planning for capital building works.
- NRM2: Detailed measurement for building works (replacing the Standard Method of Measurement, seventh edition SMM7).
- NRM 3: Order of cost estimating and cost planning for building maintenance works.
NRM3 can be used for:
- Initial order of cost estimates during preparation stages.
- Cost plans during the design development and pre-construction stages.
- Asset-specific cost plans during the pre-construction phases.
It also offers guidance about:
- The procurement and cost control of maintenance works.
- The measurement of other items associated with maintenance works that are not included in work items.
The rules for NRM3 follow the same framework and premise as NRM1: Order of cost estimating and cost planning for capital building works.
NB The New Rules of Measurement are accompanied by the 'Black Book', the QS and construction standards. Together they provide a suite of tools that will help the construction industry work more collaboratively and consistently.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Bill of quantities.
- Common Arrangement of Work Sections (CAWS).
- Comparison of SMM7 with NRM2.
- Cost plans.
- External works.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Schedule of work.
- Standard Method of Measurement (SMM7).
- Tender documentation.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.