The QS and construction standards, otherwise known as the ‘Black Book’, is a suite of guidance published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). It sets the technical standards for quantity surveying that RICS members should adopt. An understanding of these standards is necessary for the assessment of professional competence (APC) required to become a chartered surveyor.
The Black Book is not published as a single volume, but is a rolling programme of standalone publications that may ultimately include up to 50 guidance notes. Described by the RICS as one of the most significant launches in the 30 years, together they provide a suite of tools that will help the construction industry work more collaboratively and consistently.
It includes guidance on processes such as:
- Capital allowances and remediation relief.
- Cash flow forecasting.
- Conflict avoidance and dispute resolution.
- Construction insurance.
- Construction security and performance documents.
- Cost analysis and benchmarking
- Damages for delay to completion.
- Defects / rectification.
- Defining completion on construction work.
- Developing a construction procurement strategy.
- Electronic document management.
- Methodology to calculate embodied carbon.
- Termination of contract, corporate recovery and insolvency.
- Valuing change.
At its launch, the then chief construction adviser Paul Morrell said, ‘The launch of the RICS “Black Book” of practice standards is a timely contribution … and coupled with the NRM they will help to equip the profession with the means to maintain a high quality of service and advice to its clients through this time of transformation.’
 External references
- Bills of quantities.
- Common Arrangement of Work Sections.
- Comparison of SMM7 with NRM2.
- Cost consultant.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Tender documentation.
- Tender pricing document.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- isurv, RICS launches NRM, and QS and construction standards 'Black Book' 24 April 2012.
- RICS, [•%09http:/www.rics.org/uk/shop/RICS-QS-and-Construction-Standards-the-Black-Book-Suite-of-RICS-Practice-Standards-19218.aspx Black Book].
Featured articles and news
An introduction to the categories, procedures and types of listed buildings.
This Australian robotics firm have developed a bricklaying machine capable of building a house in 3 days.
20bn devices will be online by 2020, generating huge volumes of information. Is society making the most of this rich data?
Built over a period of 632 years, Cologne Cathedral is considered one of the world's finest examples of Gothic architecture.
UandI adds £1.5bn to development pipeline.
Here are 5 things leaders can do to create a truly circular economy.
Find out about the different types of delays on construction projects.
Researchers at Wien university have developed new system to create an inflatable concrete structure.
ICE responds to the first consultation on the government's industrial strategy post-Brexit.
Take a look at this newly-opened tower in Chicago with a remarkable 20:1 height-to-base ratio.
The principles, practice and formwork of one of the most important components of modern architecture.