The QS and construction standards, otherwise known as the ‘Black Book’, is a suite of guidance published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). It sets the technical standards for quantity surveying that RICS members should adopt. An understanding of these standards is necessary for the assessment of professional competence (APC) required to become a chartered surveyor.
The Black Book is not published as a single volume, but is a rolling programme of standalone publications that may ultimately include up to 50 guidance notes. Described by the RICS as one of the most significant launches in the 30 years, together they provide a suite of tools that will help the construction industry work more collaboratively and consistently.
It includes guidance on processes such as:
- Capital allowances and remediation relief.
- Cash flow forecasting.
- Conflict avoidance and dispute resolution.
- Construction insurance.
- Construction security and performance documents.
- Cost analysis and benchmarking
- Damages for delay to completion.
- Defects / rectification.
- Defining completion on construction work.
- Developing a construction procurement strategy.
- Electronic document management.
- Methodology to calculate embodied carbon.
- Termination of contract, corporate recovery and insolvency.
- Valuing change.
At its launch, the then chief construction adviser Paul Morrell said, ‘The launch of the RICS “Black Book” of practice standards is a timely contribution … and coupled with the NRM they will help to equip the profession with the means to maintain a high quality of service and advice to its clients through this time of transformation.’
 External references
- Bills of quantities.
- Common Arrangement of Work Sections.
- Comparison of SMM7 with NRM2.
- Cost consultant.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Tender documentation.
- Tender pricing document.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- isurv, RICS launches NRM, and QS and construction standards 'Black Book' 24 April 2012.
- RICS, [•%09http:/www.rics.org/uk/shop/RICS-QS-and-Construction-Standards-the-Black-Book-Suite-of-RICS-Practice-Standards-19218.aspx Black Book].
Featured articles and news
RIAS criticise the transfer of responsibility from construction professionals to other parties less involved with the design process.
Take a look at this new music/arts centre in Calgary, with subtle curves and a skybridge.
Building Automation and Control Systems (BACS) market in North America continues to grow.
Frank Lloyd Wright's last major project, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the Surface Design Show and spoke with 2 leading figures in natural stone and hotel design.
How can data from homes help plan smarter cities?
CIOB launch new toolkit to help tackle modern day slavery in construction.
Have a read of our introductory article on bored piles.
Have a look at this striking new 'H-shaped' office building in China.
Read about the pile foundation solutions BAUER have delivered for Battersea Power Station.
As it's Valentine's Day, read the story of this 'labour of love' castle built on Heart Island.
An introductory guide to the project team for building design and construction.