The QS and construction standards, otherwise known as the ‘Black Book’, is a suite of guidance published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). It sets the technical standards for quantity surveying that RICS members should adopt. An understanding of these standards is necessary for the assessment of professional competence (APC) required to become a chartered surveyor.
The Black Book is not published as a single volume, but is a rolling programme of standalone publications that may ultimately include up to 50 guidance notes. Described by the RICS as one of the most significant launches in the 30 years, together they provide a suite of tools that will help the construction industry work more collaboratively and consistently.
It includes guidance on processes such as:
- Capital allowances and remediation relief.
- Cash flow forecasting.
- Conflict avoidance and dispute resolution.
- Construction insurance.
- Construction security and performance documents.
- Cost analysis and benchmarking
- Damages for delay to completion.
- Defects / rectification.
- Defining completion on construction work.
- Developing a construction procurement strategy.
- Electronic document management.
- Methodology to calculate embodied carbon.
- Termination of contract, corporate recovery and insolvency.
- Valuing change.
At its launch, the then chief construction adviser Paul Morrell said, ‘The launch of the RICS “Black Book” of practice standards is a timely contribution … and coupled with the NRM they will help to equip the profession with the means to maintain a high quality of service and advice to its clients through this time of transformation.’
 External references
- Bills of quantities.
- Common Arrangement of Work Sections.
- Comparison of SMM7 with NRM2.
- Cost consultant.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Tender documentation.
- Tender pricing document.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- isurv, RICS launches NRM, and QS and construction standards 'Black Book' 24 April 2012.
- RICS, [•%09http:/www.rics.org/uk/shop/RICS-QS-and-Construction-Standards-the-Black-Book-Suite-of-RICS-Practice-Standards-19218.aspx Black Book].
Featured articles and news
Rogers Stirk Harbour and Partners win RIBA National Award for their British Museum extension.
The story so far.
Here is our list of the top 25 buildings in London. Do you agree with our selection?
A blueprint for the construction industry from Canada's west coast.
China's elaborate idea for a mass-transport system has been abandoned.
Read this article about the theories that characterise life in the hyperreal post-modern city.
Polyisocyanurate (PIR) insulation and how it was tested.
"We can’t sustain low density suburbs, density isn't a choice, it's a necessity." - Read our interview with the award-winning social housing architect Peter Barber.
Conservation area designation can be crucial, but treatment of individual parks varies considerably.
ICE publish new NEC4 Design, Build and Operate contract.
Report states $2 trillion is needed over the next 10 years to fix American roads.
What is the client's strategic brief for construction projects?
Read the story behind the world's most iconic festival stage, Glastonbury's Pyramid Stage.
Read the story of Ronan Point, another disastrous event which had profound consequences for the construction industry.