The QS and construction standards, otherwise known as the ‘Black Book’, is a suite of guidance published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). It sets the technical standards for quantity surveying that RICS members should adopt. An understanding of these standards is necessary for the assessment of professional competence (APC) required to become a chartered surveyor.
The Black Book is not published as a single volume, but is a rolling programme of standalone publications that may ultimately include up to 50 guidance notes. Described by the RICS as one of the most significant launches in the 30 years, together they provide a suite of tools that will help the construction industry work more collaboratively and consistently.
It includes guidance on processes such as:
- Capital allowances and remediation relief.
- Cash flow forecasting.
- Conflict avoidance and dispute resolution.
- Construction insurance.
- Construction security and performance documents.
- Cost analysis and benchmarking
- Damages for delay to completion.
- Defects / rectification.
- Defining completion on construction work.
- Developing a construction procurement strategy.
- Electronic document management.
- Methodology to calculate embodied carbon.
- Termination of contract, corporate recovery and insolvency.
- Valuing change.
At its launch, the then chief construction adviser Paul Morrell said, ‘The launch of the RICS “Black Book” of practice standards is a timely contribution … and coupled with the NRM they will help to equip the profession with the means to maintain a high quality of service and advice to its clients through this time of transformation.’
 External references
- Bills of quantities.
- Common Arrangement of Work Sections.
- Comparison of SMM7 with NRM2.
- Cost consultant.
- New Rules of Measurement.
- Tender documentation.
- Tender pricing document.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- isurv, RICS launches NRM, and QS and construction standards 'Black Book' 24 April 2012.
- RICS, [•%09http:/www.rics.org/uk/shop/RICS-QS-and-Construction-Standards-the-Black-Book-Suite-of-RICS-Practice-Standards-19218.aspx Black Book].
Featured articles and news
Government announces leaseholds on new-build houses will be banned.
Transport Secretary announces public consultation into London's funding of Crossrail 2.
Have a look at some of the most impressive concert stage designs of all time, including Pink Floyd, U2, Rolling Stones, and more...
What is the Home Quality Mark? Find out how it can help you when buying/renting a new home.
Business Secretary launches £246m Faraday Challenge to establish UK as world leader in battery technology.
Government announces new plans for regulations to improve safety and security awareness of drone users.
Read our introductory article to the various different types of fuel.
IHBC book review: Charles Barry’s monumental struggle to rebuild the Houses of Parliament.
Read about RSHP's British Museum extension which has been shortlisted for the 2017 Stirling Prize.
Read our introductory article to building a house extension.
More updates from DCMS about the large-scale testing of cladding systems and the number of buildings affected.
UandI secure resolution to grant planning consent for major new regeneration project.
It was the tallest structure in the world for 3,800 years, but to this day the exact construction techniques are a mystery.