- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 14 Oct 2021
Multi-sensor alarms (or multi-criteria alarms) detect more than one fire phenomena, for example optical and heat detection. They may also include other detection capabilities, such as carbon monoxide detection.
Research by BRE, published in 2014, suggested that replacement of existing detectors in Kings College London with intelligent multi-sensor detectors could reduce false alarms by 69%, and that in the general building stock, the increased use of multi-sensor detectors may avert false alarms from common causes such as cooking fumes, steam and so on. Ref The causes of false fire alarms in buildings.
Intelligent multi-sensor alarms are independently addressed and continuously monitored to verify correct operation. They may also have adjustable sensitivity settings and drift compensation to account for environmental conditions. This can help identify when an alarm is genuine, as opposed to resulting from a maintenance issue or incorrect setting.
- Carbon monoxide.
- Carbon monoxide detector.
- Electrotechnical industry gears up for All-IP switch.
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire fatalities in Scotland.
- Heat alarm.
- Intruder alarm.
- Ionisation smoke alarms.
- Live investigations of false fire alarms.
- New requirements for fire detection and alarm network systems IP 12 13.
- Optical smoke alarm.
- Over £1 billion lost every year due to false alarms.
- Smoke detection in high ceiling spaces.
- Smoke detector.
- The causes of false fire alarms in buildings.
Featured articles and news
Students available for administrative roles.
Delisting a World Heritage Site.
Design needs to be more diverse to be widely accessible.
It’s not always a case of the centre leading.
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.