BS 5839-1: Fire detection and fire alarm system for buildings. Code of practice for design, installation and commissioning and maintenance of systems in non-domestic premises
BS 5839-1:2017 'Fire detection and fire alarm system for buildings. Code of practice for design, installation and commissioning and maintenance of systems in non-domestic premises' is referred to in both volumes of Approved Document B, which concerns building regulations [in England] covering fire safety matters within and around buildings.
The standard covers the planning, design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of fire detection and fire alarm systems in and around commercial buildings. It is relevant to anyone involved in these areas of work.
The sections in the standard are:
- Section 1: General.
- Section 2: Design considerations.
- Section 3: Limitation of false alarms.
- Section 4: Installation.
- Section 5: Commissioning and handover.
- Section 6: Maintenance.
- Section 7: User's responsibilities.
Some of the key changes in the standard include:
- Improved definition of the L2 fire alarm system which offers automatic detection on all escape routes.
- Modified guidance for use of multi-sector detectors.
- Requirement for clarification regarding the use of voice alarm detectors (VADs) and visual indicator devices (VID).
- Testing of the power supply, contingency power, and so on.
- Guidance for people working at night.
The revisions to the standard began before the Grenfell Tower fire in June 2017, with a public consultation held in 2016, and so it does not address residential buildings. However, a BSI spokesperson said that the standard may be further revised if investigations into the tragedy raise relevant points.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved Document B.
- BS 8414-2: Fire performance of external cladding systems.
- BS 9991:2015 Fire safety in the design, management and use of residential buildings. Code of practice.
- Carbon monoxide detector.
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire detector.
- Fire safety design.
- Heat alarm.
- Multi-sensor alarm.
- Smoke detector.
- The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety.
Featured articles and news
Demographics, digital tech, climate change, AI - all challenges facing the built environment. Enter our ideas competition.
Lessons from Australia on how to make affordable, sustainable housing a reality.
Adjaye Associates reveal their designs for a new espionage museum in New York.
CIAT submit their recommendations to the government's Grenfell Tower inquiry. See the summary here.
Read our introductory article on collaborative practices for building design and construction.
Read about the history behind one of Italy's most recognisible buildings.
Roland Busch of Siemens AG looks at how cities can fight climate change.
Every home and small business in Great Britain will be offered a smart meter by the end of 2020.
The PM’s speech stole the headlines but what was said about infrastructure at the Conservative Party conference?
We interviewed the photographer Jade Doskow about her new book documenting the strange architecture of World's Fair sites.
Industry leaders join CIOB and Stronger Together to tackle modern slavery in construction.
Drawing on the recent Mexico earthquake, a collection of free journal articles has been assembled.