- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 01 Nov 2019
BS 5839-1: Fire detection and fire alarm system for buildings. Code of practice for design, installation and commissioning and maintenance of systems in non-domestic premises
BS 5839-1:2017 'Fire detection and fire alarm system for buildings. Code of practice for design, installation and commissioning and maintenance of systems in non-domestic premises' is referred to in both volumes of Approved Document B, which concerns building regulations [in England] covering fire safety matters within and around buildings.
The standard covers the planning, design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of fire detection and fire alarm systems in and around commercial buildings. It is relevant to anyone involved in these areas of work.
- Section 1: General.
- Section 2: Design considerations.
- Section 3: Limitation of false alarms.
- Section 4: Installation.
- Section 5: Commissioning and handover.
- Section 6: Maintenance.
- Section 7: User's responsibilities.
Some of the key changes in the standard include:
- Improved definition of the L2 fire alarm system which offers automatic detection on all escape routes.
- Modified guidance for use of multi-sector detectors.
- Requirement for clarification regarding the use of voice alarm detectors (VADs) and visual indicator devices (VID).
- Testing of the power supply, contingency power, and so on.
- Guidance for people working at night.
The revisions to the standard began before the Grenfell Tower fire in June 2017, with a public consultation held in 2016, and so it does not address residential buildings. However, a BSI spokesperson said that the standard may be further revised if investigations into the tragedy raise relevant points.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved Document B.
- BS 8414-2: Fire performance of external cladding systems.
- BS 9991:2015 Fire safety in the design, management and use of residential buildings. Code of practice.
- Carbon monoxide detector.
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire detector.
- Fire safety design.
- Heat alarm.
- Multi-sensor alarm.
- Smoke detector.
- The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety.
Featured articles and news
The real impact of late payment.
How to tell which infrastructure projects will work.
The government announces the biggest change in building safety for a generation.
Key messages from the UN COP 25 conference.
Reducing the risks of buying off-plan
A lighthouse history from Eddystone to Fastnet. Book review.
Telling the story of the Government Code and Cipher School.
Are you an experienced writer with a practical understanding of the industry?
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
New Dwelling House at Grange View.
The causes of sinkholes.
The growth of megacities.
The restoration of Big Ben.