- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Sep 2020
BS 5839-1: Fire detection and fire alarm system for buildings. Code of practice for design, installation and commissioning and maintenance of systems in non-domestic premises
BS 5839-1:2017 'Fire detection and fire alarm system for buildings. Code of practice for design, installation and commissioning and maintenance of systems in non-domestic premises' is referred to in both volumes of Approved Document B, which concerns building regulations [in England] covering fire safety matters within and around buildings.
The standard covers the planning, design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of fire detection and fire alarm systems in and around commercial buildings. It is relevant to anyone involved in these areas of work.
- Section 1: General.
- Section 2: Design considerations.
- Section 3: Limitation of false alarms.
- Section 4: Installation.
- Section 5: Commissioning and handover.
- Section 6: Maintenance.
- Section 7: User's responsibilities.
Some of the key changes in the standard include:
- Improved definition of the L2 fire alarm system which offers automatic detection on all escape routes.
- Modified guidance for use of multi-sector detectors.
- Requirement for clarification regarding the use of voice alarm detectors (VADs) and visual indicator devices (VID).
- Testing of the power supply, contingency power, and so on.
- Guidance for people working at night.
The revisions to the standard began before the Grenfell Tower fire in June 2017, with a public consultation held in 2016, and so it does not address residential buildings. However, a BSI spokesperson said that the standard may be further revised if investigations into the tragedy raise relevant points.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved Document B.
- BS 8414-2: Fire performance of external cladding systems.
- BS 9991:2015 Fire safety in the design, management and use of residential buildings. Code of practice.
- Carbon monoxide detector.
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire detector.
- Fire safety design.
- Heat alarm.
- Multi-sensor alarm.
- Smoke detector.
- The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety.
Featured articles and news
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.
How Paul Williams bent over backwards to overcome racial barriers.
Organisation revises actions around dealing with COVID-19.
CIOB, NFCC, RIBA, RICS call for changes ahead of Building Safety Bill.
Developments in the Future Homes Standard.
An American chimney feature with a colourful past.
Homes based on need, not ability to pay.
Historic England adds 216 entries to the 'at risk' register.
Will cycling and walking provisions be preserved?
Assembly point levels range from relative to ultimate.
Signs are pointing to a recovery for the construction industry.
Campaigning to change perceptions about American Brutalism.