- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Oct 2020
Construction began in 1406, when Zhu Di became the Yongle Emperor and moved the capital from Nanjing to Beijing. By the time it was completed in 1420, the complex covered more than 180 acres and included 980 buildings.
The Forbidden City, as its name suggests, was not generally open to the masses. The Outer Court (the southern part of the complex), with its expansive courtyards and monumental pavilions, was used for public audiences and ceremonies; while the Inner Court (northern part) contained residences for the royal family, servants, and so on.
The complex has influenced cultural and architectural styles across East Asia and beyond. In 1987, it was declared a World Heritage Site, and listed by UNESCO as the world’s largest collection of preserved wooden structures.
Classical Chinese buildings typical emphasise breadth rather than height, particularly those of the wealthy. They often feature an enclosed, heavy platform, covered with a large roof that appears to 'float' because of the lack of emphasis on the supporting vertical walls.
The Forbidden City is laid out in a rectangle, measuring 961 m (3,153 ft) from north to south, and 753 m (2,470 ft) from east to west. It is surrounded by a wall measuring 7.9 m (26 ft) high, and a moat measuring 6 m (20 ft) deep by 52 m (171 ft) wide. The corners of the walls are expressed by four towers with intricate roofs formed by 72 ridges.
One of the most famous features is the Wu (Meridian Gate), the imposing 38 m (125 ft) high southern entrance. This opens onto a large courtyard through which the Golden River runs, crossed by five white marble bridges.
Towering above the Outer Court is the most iconic structure of the complex, the Hall of Supreme Harmony, which contains the throne of the emperor. This is the largest building of the complex, and is the largest surviving wooden structure in China.
The structures are largely made from timber logs from the jungles of south-western China, and large blocks of marble. Baked ‘golden’ bricks were used to pave the floors of several of the more important halls. The roofs include yellow glazed tiles, the colour of the Emperor.
Since completion in 1420, 14 Ming emperors and 10 Qing emperors used the complex as their imperial palace. However, with the abdication of Puyi in 1912, its role as the political centre of China came to an end.
With the revolutionary action that established the People’s Republic of China in 1949, the complex incurred some damage, although further destruction was prevented during the Cultural Revolution as an army battalion was charged with keeping it safe.
Today, the Palace Museum contains an extensive collection of artwork and artifacts, including the imperial collections of the Ming and Qing dynasties. As such, it is the most visited art museum in the world, with 14.6 million visitors a year.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Improving facilities, accessibility and overall appearance.
Free download of TG 12/2021 available.
TESP works with The Youth Group to form skill sharing network.
Big tech collaborates on platform for the built environment.
Letter signed by 21 organisations sent to MHCLG.
A look at the Government's strategic approach.
Steps to help reduce the spread of infection inside buildings.
This social media-centred hobby can be both dangerous and illegal.
Millwork wall treatment with a long and illustrious history.
HSE introduces cumulative exposure calculator.
The Edwardians and their houses.
Cut off from civilian life for over 900 years.
Gaining green support from the carbon giants.
Click the button to subscribe.