- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Jul 2018
Fire resistance of buildings
To help develop this article, click Edit this article above.
- Resistance to collapse, i.e. the ability to maintain loadbearing capacity (which applies to loadbearing elements only).
- Resistance to fire penetration, i.e. an ability to maintain the integrity of the element.
- Resistance to the transfer of excessive heat, i.e. an ability to provide insulation from high temperatures.
The appropriate criteria are specified in BS 476.
- Guidance in section 2 concerning the use of fire-resisting construction to protect means of escape.
- Guidance in section 9 about the fire resistance of external walls to restrict the spread of fire between buildings.
- Information in appendix A about methods of testing and the performance of elements of construction.
- Information in appendix B about fire doors.
- Information in appendix C about methods of measurement.
- Information in appendix D about purpose group classification.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Cavity barrier.
- Compartment floor.
- Dry riser.
- Escape route.
- Fire and rescue service.
- Fire collar.
- Fire compartment.
- Fire damper.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire door.
- Fire safety design.
- Fire-separating element.
- Firefighting route.
- Intumescent coatings.
- Joint fire code.
- Means of escape.
- Place of special fire hazard.
- Protected escape route.
- Protected stairway.
- Sacrificial timber.
- Thermoplastic material.
- Unprotected escape route.
- Wet riser.
Featured articles and news
Which room is the most fun to design? Find out the 'Grand Designs' presenter's unusual choice in our interview.
Full suite of speakers are announced for this year's BSRIA Briefing event.
Book your place for the Architectural Technology Awards 2018.
There are many ways of classifying types of building. Have a look at our range of building articles.
BSRIA have launched the 'major update' of the go-to design framework guide for building services.
How to get results with building life cycle assessment.
Government publishes a prospectus inviting proposals for new 'garden communities'.
The Morandi motorway bridge in Genoa collapses during rainstorm while undergoing maintenance works.
'Developed design' is a phrase coined by the RIBA for their 2013 Plan of Work. But what does it actually mean?
New green paper published aiming to rebalance the relationship between landlords and residents and tackle stigma.
RIBA calls for a comprehensive ban on combustible materials.