- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 07 Jan 2021
Fire resistance of buildings
- Resistance to collapse (loadbearing capacity), which applies to loadbearing elements only, denoted R in the European classification of the resistance to fire performance.
- Resistance to fire penetration (integrity), denoted E in the European classification of the resistance to fire performance.
- Resistance to the transfer of excessive heat (insulation), denoted I in the European classification of the resistance to fire performance.
- Table B3 gives the specific requirements for each element of structure.
- Table B4 sets out the minimum periods of fire resistance for elements of structure.
- Table B5 sets out limitations on the use of uninsulated fire resisting glazed elements.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BS 476.
- BS EN 13501-1.
- Cavity barrier.
- Compartment floor.
- Dry riser.
- Escape route.
- Fire and rescue service.
- Fire blanket.
- Fire collar.
- Fire compartment.
- Fire damper.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire door.
- Fire safety design.
- Fire-separating element.
- Fire separation.
- Firefighting route.
- Intumescent coatings.
- Intumescent strip.
- Joint fire code.
- Mastic asphalt flooring.
- Means of escape.
- Place of special fire hazard.
- Protected escape route.
- Protected stairway.
- Sacrificial timber.
- Supporting construction.
- Thermoplastic material.
- Unprotected escape route.
- Wet riser.
Featured articles and news
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.
Plan stresses local involvement in city, town and village development.
Environment Agency publishes BAT guidance.
CLC guidance outlines carbon reduction priorities.
Making the most of a staycation.
Organisation urges G20 to revisit wind energy.