- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Jan 2021
Fire resistance of buildings
- Resistance to collapse (loadbearing capacity), which applies to loadbearing elements only, denoted R in the European classification of the resistance to fire performance.
- Resistance to fire penetration (integrity), denoted E in the European classification of the resistance to fire performance.
- Resistance to the transfer of excessive heat (insulation), denoted I in the European classification of the resistance to fire performance.
- Table B3 gives the specific requirements for each element of structure.
- Table B4 sets out the minimum periods of fire resistance for elements of structure.
- Table B5 sets out limitations on the use of uninsulated fire resisting glazed elements.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BS 476.
- BS EN 13501-1.
- Cavity barrier.
- Compartment floor.
- Dry riser.
- Escape route.
- Fire and rescue service.
- Fire blanket.
- Fire collar.
- Fire compartment.
- Fire damper.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire door.
- Fire safety design.
- Fire-separating element.
- Fire separation.
- Firefighting route.
- Intumescent coatings.
- Intumescent strip.
- Joint fire code.
- Mastic asphalt flooring.
- Means of escape.
- Place of special fire hazard.
- Protected escape route.
- Protected stairway.
- Sacrificial timber.
- Supporting construction.
- Thermoplastic material.
- Unprotected escape route.
- Wet riser.
Featured articles and news
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.
Making the case for a sustainable future.
Retrofit professionals now entitled to enter CIOB programme.
How, where, when and why stereotypes happen.
Optimising the best features of both energy performance tools.
BSRIA guidance updated in BG 78/2021 publication.
ISO standard supports crime prevention through environmental design.