- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 Oct 2017
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
- Firefighting lift: A lift designed to have additional protection, with controls that enable it to be used under the direct control of the fire and rescue service in fighting a fire.
- Firefighting lobby: A protected lobby providing access from a firefighting stair to the accommodation area and to any associated firefighting lift.
- Firefighting shaft: A protected enclosure containing a firefighting stair, firefighting lobbies and, if provided, a firefighting lift, together with its machine room.
- Firefighting stair: A protected stairway communicating with the accommodation area only through a firefighting lobby.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Dry riser.
- Escape route.
- Fire and rescue service.
- Fire compartment.
- Fire detection and alarm systems.
- Fire door.
- Fire protection engineering.
- Fire resistance.
- Fire safety design.
- Firefighting lift.
- Firefighting lobby.
- Firefighting shaft.
- Inner room.
- Protected escape route.
- Protected stairway.
- Unprotected escape route.
- Wet riser.
Featured articles and news
From the sinister Carceri d’Invenzione to the triple portrait of Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn and his Grand Tour travelling companions.
BSRIA launch the 5th edition of the Design Framework for Building Services (BG 6/2018).
Stella Rimmington famously said the construction industry was just as tricky as the KGB.
Construction site visitor cards are to be withdrawn.
3 WTC opens, RSHP’s first built project in New York.
We have a lots of articles about lifts - this introduction is a good place to start.
BREEAM ES and SIMA present for the first time a reproduction of a sustainable home.
How's that for customer satisfaction? The results of our user survey are in.
One of the most significant barriers to realising true value from digital transformation.
A great reference text for dipping into, and an absorbing read.
Owen Hatherley pulls no punches in our interview about his new book 'Trans-Europe Express' and much more.