Delivering water efficiency in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers
Delivering water efficiency in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers (IP 6/14) was written by Tom Taylor and published by BRE on 13 June 2014.
This information paper provides guidance about how to deliver water efficiency savings through improved facilities management. It is part of a series of BRE publications providing guidance for facilities managers, maintenance contractors and building owners about issues relating to the operation and management of commercial buildings.
Whilst sometimes considered secondary to energy efficiency, the importance of water efficiency should not be underestimated, particularly with water shortages on the increase as a result of growing demand and the increasing variability of weather patterns. Reducing demand through water efficiency and sourcing water from alternative supplies alleviates pressure on water resources, improves resilience, and helps cut costs.
This 8-page publication provides an overview of how to determine water consumption and establish a building’s water efficiency performance. It offers guidance about how to ensure water systems are operating as intended and how to identify causes of poor water efficiency. It will help the reader gain an understanding of some of the key issues that impact on water efficiency and to identify opportunities for making water efficiency savings.
Its contents are:
- Water-consumption monitoring and benchmarking.
- Water efficiency and maintenance.
- User engagement.
- Investing in water efficiency.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BREEAM Water consumption.
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment.
- BREEAM Water leak detection.
- BREEAM Water monitoring.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Flood and Water Management Act
- Green roofs.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- Shower vs bath.
- Sustainable water.
- The State of the Environment: Water Resources.
- Types of water.
- Water consumption.
- Water engineering.
- Water investment.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.