- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Nov 2020
Cover systems for land regeneration - thickness of cover systems for contaminated land (BR465)
On 22 March 2004, BRE published; Cover systems for land regeneration - thickness of cover systems for contaminated land (BR465), written by P Tedd, P Witherington, D Earle, S Hollingsworth, B Furlong, L Bradley, H Mallett and D Laidler. It was prepared by RSK ENSR Ltd on behalf of the Association of Geotechnical and Geo-environmental Specialists (AGS) in partnership with BRE.
BR465 can be used to help assess the need for cover systems and to determine their thickness. It is intended for simple cover systems on brownfield sites where exposure to contamination needs to be reduced. It is not appropriate for sites where exposure to contamination must be completely prevented.
The booklet comes with a CD ROM which includes:
- A powerpoint presentation setting the scene and introducing the study that led to the development of the methodology.
- A report detailing; the findings of an in-depth study of design approaches, a literature review and on-site research; proposing a simple method for designing cover thickness, a more rigorous spreadsheet-based method and a worked example.
- A spreadsheet enabling the design of combinations of cover thickness and ground contamination for a wide range of contaminants.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved Document C.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Brownfield land.
- Building on fill.
- Building Research Establishment BRE
- Contaminated land.
- Environmental engineering.
- Ground conditions.
- Ground investigation.
- Hydraulically treated soils in residential construction (BR 513).
- Landfill tax.
- Methane and other gasses from the ground.
- Pre construction information.
- Radon: Guidance on protective measures for new buildings BR 211.
- Site appraisal.
- Soil survey.
- Solid and liquid contaminants risk assessments.
Featured articles and news
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.
From horse and cart to hypermarket.
How elements and processes work together in a systems approach.
CIOB offers digital guide to proactive methods of working.