- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 12 Sep 2021
Building Research Establishment BRE
In June 1920, the Building Research Board met for the first time and in 1921 The Building Research Station (BRS), a government-funded laboratory, was established to carry out research work for the Board.
The Building Research Establishment was privatised in 1997, owned by a new body, the Foundation for the Built Environment (FBE), since which time it has referred to itself as BRE. In 2005, the Foundation was renamed the BRE Trust.
BRE is an independent, research-based consultancy, testing and training organisation, operating in the built environment and associated industries. Its head office is in Watford and it has regional offices in Scotland and Wales.
- Research and innovation.
- Testing, certification, approvals and listings (such as the Loss Prevention Certification Board (LPCB) and GreenBookLive).
- Sustainability and BREEAM (BREAAM is the BRE Environmental Assessment Method. First launched in the UK in 1990, it sets best practice standards for the environmental performance of buildings).
- Training, events and accreditation (such as the BRE Energy Assessor Accreditation Schemes).
- BRE Global, an independent, third-party approvals organisation working to ensure that fire, security, environmental and other products and services provide the quality of performance and protection that they should.
- BRE Ventures, bringing together innovators, networks and funding streams to take innovation to market quickly.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 2021 Soft Landings Conference.
- BRE Group profile page on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE National Solar Centre.
- BRE Trust.
- BRE Watford Innovation Park.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Cork House.
- Design quality indicator DQI.
- Domestic Retrofit training course.
- Homes England Modern Methods of Construction research finalised.
- NABERS UK.
Featured articles and news
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.
The Great Transformation 1860–1920. Book review.
Including the devolved governments, CIOB, ECA, APM and IHBC.
AT awards small to medium size project category winner.
Formal and informal adaptive re-use or new use of buildings.
Temperatures hit new highs, yet world fails to cut emissions (again).