Building Research Establishment BRE
In June 1920, the Building Research Board met for the first time and in 1921 The Building Research Station (BRS), a government-funded laboratory, was established to carry out research work for the Board.
The Building Research Establishment was privatised in 1997, owned by a new body, the Foundation for the Built Environment (FBE), since which time it has referred has itself as BRE. In 2005, the Foundation was renamed the BRE Trust.
BRE is an independent, research-based consultancy, testing and training organisation, operating in the built environment and associated industries. Its head office is in Watford and it has regional offices in Scotland and Wales.
BRE activities include:
- Research and innovation.
- Testing, certification, approvals and listings (such as the Loss Prevention Certification Board (LPCB) and GreenBookLive).
- Sustainability and BREEAM (BREAAM is the BRE Environmental Assessment Method. First launched in the UK in 1990, it sets best practice standards for the environmental performance of buildings).
- Training, events and accreditation (such as the BRE Energy Assessor Accreditation Schemes).
- BRE Global, an independent, third-party approvals organisation working to ensure that fire, security, environmental and other products and services provide the quality of performance and protection that they should.
- BRE Ventures, bringing together innovators, networks and funding streams to take innovation to market quickly.
In February 2019, Gillian Charlesworth became the new chief executive of BRE following Peter Bonfield's move to become vice-chancellor and president of the University of Westminster.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE Group profile page on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE National Solar Centre.
- BRE Trust.
- BRE Watford Innovation Park.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Domestic Retrofit training course.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.