- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Mar 2018
BRE National Solar Centre
The BRE National Solar Centre was established in 2012 to provide independent evidence based information about solar energy systems and related topics. Its dedicated team of solar professionals, whose expertise include the practicalities of complex installations, technical consultancy, project planning, applied research and policy analysis, is based at the Eden Project in Cornwall and the BRE head office near Watford.
The BRE National Solar Centre in Cornwall was opened in April 2013 by former Energy Minister, Greg Barker, with support from solar industry partners and Cornwall Council. Its target audience is organisations that require information about solar energy and related technologies. It also provide impartial advice for the UK solar industry.
The BRE National Solar Centre provides:
- Impartial and authoritative consultancy, research, training and products.
- Independent research on performance of solar technologies via the Smart Solar Hub.
- Guidance and standards on solar and related technologies.
- Information about technical specification, procurement, installation & operation of solar technologies.
- Information about solar innovation and technological advances.
- Support for organisations that need good quality information on solar, such as; community projects, corporate clients, local authorities and housing associations.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Battery energy storage systems with grid-connected solar photovoltaics BR 514.
- BRE photovoltaic certification scheme.
- Brise soleil.
- Carbon Reduction Commitment.
- Code of Practice for Grid Connected Solar Photovoltaic Systems
- Feed in tariff.
- Fuel cell.
- Future of electricity in domestic buildings.
- Geothermal energy.
- Green Deal.
- Large scale solar thermal energy.
- Multi-functional solar car parks.
- PV inverter.
- Qualitative research and the built environment.
- Solar thermal systems.
- Zero carbon homes.
- Zero carbon non-domestic buildings.
Featured articles and news
Which room is the most fun to design? Find out the 'Grand Designs' presenter's unusual choice in our interview.
Full suite of speakers are announced for this year's BSRIA Briefing event.
Book your place for the Architectural Technology Awards 2018.
There are many ways of classifying types of building. Have a look at our range of building articles.
BSRIA have launched the 'major update' of the go-to design framework guide for building services.
How to get results with building life cycle assessment.
Government publishes a prospectus inviting proposals for new 'garden communities'.
The Morandi motorway bridge in Genoa collapses during rainstorm while undergoing maintenance works.
'Developed design' is a phrase coined by the RIBA for their 2013 Plan of Work. But what does it actually mean?
New green paper published aiming to rebalance the relationship between landlords and residents and tackle stigma.
RIBA calls for a comprehensive ban on combustible materials.