- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Feb 2020
BRE National Solar Centre
The BRE National Solar Centre was established in 2012 to provide independent evidence based information about solar energy systems and related topics. Its dedicated team of solar professionals, whose expertise include the practicalities of complex installations, technical consultancy, project planning, applied research and policy analysis, is based at the Eden Project in Cornwall and the BRE head office near Watford.
The BRE National Solar Centre in Cornwall was opened in April 2013 by former Energy Minister, Greg Barker, with support from solar industry partners and Cornwall Council. Its target audience is organisations that require information about solar energy and related technologies. It also provide impartial advice for the UK solar industry.
The BRE National Solar Centre provides:
- Impartial and authoritative consultancy, research, training and products.
- Independent research on performance of solar technologies via the Smart Solar Hub.
- Guidance and standards on solar and related technologies.
- Information about technical specification, procurement, installation & operation of solar technologies.
- Information about solar innovation and technological advances.
- Support for organisations that need good quality information on solar, such as; community projects, corporate clients, local authorities and housing associations.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Battery energy storage systems with grid-connected solar photovoltaics BR 514.
- BRE photovoltaic certification scheme.
- Brise soleil.
- Carbon Reduction Commitment.
- Center for Sustainable Landscapes.
- Code of Practice for Grid Connected Solar Photovoltaic Systems
- Feed in tariff.
- Fuel cell.
- Future of electricity in domestic buildings.
- Multi-functional solar car parks.
- PV inverter.
- Qualitative research and the built environment.
- Renewable energy sources: how they work and what they deliver: Part 4: Solar thermal hot water systems DG 532 4.
- Solar thermal systems.
- Wind loads on roof-mounted photovoltaic and solar thermal systems DG 489.
Featured articles and news
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?
One of the seven man-made wonders of Arizona.
A more flexible approach is needed.
A quick step-by-step introduction to the BREEAM process.
First pioneered in the USA and then France.
The European BACS market has been showing signs of growth.
Free ICE publication for World Water Day.