- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Mar 2018
BRE National Solar Centre
The BRE National Solar Centre was established in 2012 to provide independent evidence based information about solar energy systems and related topics. Its dedicated team of solar professionals, whose expertise include the practicalities of complex installations, technical consultancy, project planning, applied research and policy analysis, is based at the Eden Project in Cornwall and the BRE head office near Watford.
The BRE National Solar Centre in Cornwall was opened in April 2013 by former Energy Minister, Greg Barker, with support from solar industry partners and Cornwall Council. Its target audience is organisations that require information about solar energy and related technologies. It also provide impartial advice for the UK solar industry.
The BRE National Solar Centre provides:
- Impartial and authoritative consultancy, research, training and products.
- Independent research on performance of solar technologies via the Smart Solar Hub.
- Guidance and standards on solar and related technologies.
- Information about technical specification, procurement, installation & operation of solar technologies.
- Information about solar innovation and technological advances.
- Support for organisations that need good quality information on solar, such as; community projects, corporate clients, local authorities and housing associations.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Battery energy storage systems with grid-connected solar photovoltaics BR 514.
- BRE photovoltaic certification scheme.
- Brise soleil.
- Carbon Reduction Commitment.
- Code of Practice for Grid Connected Solar Photovoltaic Systems
- Feed in tariff.
- Fuel cell.
- Future of electricity in domestic buildings.
- Geothermal energy.
- Green Deal.
- Large scale solar thermal energy.
- Multi-functional solar car parks.
- PV inverter.
- Qualitative research and the built environment.
- Solar thermal systems.
- Zero carbon homes.
- Zero carbon non-domestic buildings.
Featured articles and news
ICE publish a policy paper on the UK’s future interconnectivity with the EU and the challenges for infrastructure.
Detailed guidance about construction waste management.
The changing identity of London communities in the face of rapid urbanisation.
Can you help? We have 300 industry acronyms beginning with 'C' but none beginning with 'Y'.
From the sinister Carceri d’Invenzione to the triple portrait of Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn and his Grand Tour travelling companions.
BSRIA launch the 5th edition of the Design Framework for Building Services (BG 6/2018).
Stella Rimmington famously said the construction industry was just as tricky as the KGB.
Construction site visitor cards are to be withdrawn.
3 WTC opens, RSHP’s first built project in New York.
We have a lots of articles about lifts - this introduction is a good place to start.
BREEAM ES and SIMA present for the first time a reproduction of a sustainable home.