BRE National Solar Centre
The BRE National Solar Centre was established in 2012 to provide independent evidence based information about solar energy systems and related topics. Its dedicated team of solar professionals, whose expertise include the practicalities of complex installations, technical consultancy, project planning, applied research and policy analysis, is based at the Eden Project in Cornwall and the BRE head office near Watford.
The BRE National Solar Centre in Cornwall was opened in April 2013 by former Energy Minister, Greg Barker, with support from solar industry partners and Cornwall Council. Its target audience is organisations that require information about solar energy and related technologies. It also provide impartial advice for the UK solar industry.
The BRE National Solar Centre provides:
- Impartial and authoritative consultancy, research, training and products.
- Independent research on performance of solar technologies via the Smart Solar Hub.
- Guidance and standards on solar and related technologies.
- Information about technical specification, procurement, installation & operation of solar technologies.
- Information about solar innovation and technological advances.
- Support for organisations that need good quality information on solar, such as; community projects, corporate clients, local authorities and housing associations.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE photovoltaic certification scheme.
- Brise soleil.
- Carbon Reduction Commitment.
- Code of Practice for Grid Connected Solar Photovoltaic Systems
- Feed in tariff.
- Fuel cell.
- Future of electricity in domestic buildings.
- Geothermal energy.
- Green Deal.
- Large scale solar thermal energy.
- PV inverter.
- Qualitative research and the built environment.
- Solar thermal systems.
- Zero carbon homes.
- Zero carbon non-domestic buildings.
Featured articles and news
What is Modernism?
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
BRE support Europe-wide strategic heating plans for local and national authorities.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.
As Cuba mourn the death of Castro, major renovation of this symbolic landmark may be a reflection of the country's fresh start.
How cannabis plants are used to create an alternative building material with plenty of advantages.
What does Mayor Sadiq Khan's first policy statement mean for London's infrastructure?
Bjarke Ingels Group announced as winners of design competition for new residential landmark in Amsterdam.
Designing Buildings Wiki has reviewed a well-designed and researched set of architecture city maps.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the second annual Building Live conference, tackling the challenges facing construction.