- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 01 Jul 2019
Battery energy storage systems with grid-connected solar photovoltaics BR 514
Battery energy storage systems with grid-connected solar photovoltaics: A technical guide (BR 514) was written by Martin Cotterell and Edited by Chris Coonick, Steve Pester and Jonny Williams. It was published by BRE on 5 September 2017.
This 36-page guide covers battery energy storage systems for domestic or small commercial grid-connected solar photovoltaics (PV). Adding energy storage to these installations is considered for two main reasons; storing surplus solar PV energy for use later in the day, and providing a back-up power supply in the event of a power cut.
The guide focuses on grid-connected solar PV systems, although some of the principles described may apply to other forms of energy generation. It does not cover systems that make use of ‘spare’ storage capability available from an electric vehicle.
The guide allows customers to assess the benefits of energy storage systems, the pros and cons of different system types and the implications of different system sizes and operating regimes, and it also allows system designers and installers to undertake safe and effective design, specification and installation.
It considers the design, sizing and specification of energy storage systems that use established battery technologies to store solar surplus for use later in the day. Typical operating patterns and characteristics are also examined, and examples are given for how systems can be configured and connected within a building, and the process for sizing batteries and other components.
The contents are:
- Battery charging.
- System components and configurations.
- System operation.
- Design and installation requirements.
- References and further reading.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Battery storage.
- BRE National Solar Centre.
- BRE photovoltaic certification scheme.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Code of practice for grid connected solar photovoltaic systems.
- DC isolators for photovoltaic systems (FB 68).
- Domestic micro-generation.
- Energy storage - the missing piece?
- Energy storage for buildings.
- Energy storage in buildings - a technology overview BG73 2018.
- Graphene batteries.
- The use of batteries to store electricity for buildings.
- VAT hike puts brakes on home solar and batteries.
- Why the UK needs to support emerging tech like energy storage.
Featured articles and news
Scour can make river currents structurally damaging.
Indoor environmental quality looks at air quality and other wellbeing factors.
A procurement method associated with Public Private Partnerships.
Infrastructure can use digital technology to encourage human growth.
Robotics and the construction industry.
ECA comments on CLC's three-phase recovery plan.
Their diplomatic and architectural history.
The origins of the six volume series.
Built to defend British waters, only to serve as pirate radio stations later.
Wellbeing to influence mix of home and office based working.
An introduction to cobotics.
Survey reports on outlook for the engineering sector.
A simple path to possible error avoidance.
Construction + technology = ConTech.
New low and high tech tools enter the marketplace.
Report looks at mental health in the built environment.