- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 13 Oct 2020
'Anything that affects the quality of land, air, water or soils, which might lead to an adverse impact on human health, the natural environment or general amenity. Pollution can arise from a range of emissions, including smoke, fumes, gases, dust, steam, odour, noise and light.'
'A change in the physical, chemical, radiological or biological quality of a resource (air, land or water) caused by humans or their activities that is injurious to the existing, intended or potential uses of the resource.'
NB On 20 May 2019, the British Safety Council launched a campaign to have air pollution recognised as an occupational health hazard for construction workers and others who work outdoors. Ref https://www.britsafe.org/about-us/press-releases/2019/it-s-time-to-recognise-air-pollution-as-an-occupational-health-hazard/
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Air quality.
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories
- Brownfield land.
- Construction dust.
- Contaminated land.
- Deleterious materials.
- Designing to reduce the chemical, biological and radiological vulnerability of new buildings (IP 7/15).
- Diffuse pollution.
- Environmental health.
- Fertilizer groundwater pollution.
- Greenhouse gas.
- Health and safety.
- Hazardous substances.
- Indoor air quality.
- Light pollution.
- Methane and other gasses from the ground.
- Planning (Hazardous Substances) Act 1990.
- Pollution Prevention Guidelines (PPGs).
- Ozone depleting substance.
- Noise pollution.
- Solid and liquid contaminants risk assessments.
- Sources of external pollution.
- Sustainable materials.
Featured articles and news
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.
Making the case for a sustainable future.
Retrofit professionals now entitled to enter CIOB programme.
How, where, when and why stereotypes happen.