- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 29 Sep 2021
A contract notice is any notification that provides information about an upcoming construction contract. It is essentially an advertisement. Today, most contract notices appear online but they may also be published in the hard copy versions of professional or other journals.
The UK government publishes public contract notices on its website and in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU). The OJEU is the official on-line gazette of record for the EU. Publishing contract notices in the OJEU is required for public projects above a certain value.
Publishing contract notices in the OJEU is intended to open up public procurement and ensure the free movement of supplies, services and works within the EU. Private projects may also need to be published in the OJEU if they have been publicly subsidised.
Contracts posted in the OJEU may range from the supply of materials, to the installation of a school football pitch, to large multi-million-pound framework contracts for infrastructure. Details of the project will be provided to enable interested parties to ascertain whether the contract is of interest and how to pursue it.
- Type of contract;
- Estimated value;
- Information about whether the project is divided into lots;
- Description of the procurement process;
- Duration of the contract;
- Any extension periods, and
- Administrative and procedural information
The UK Government’s Contract Finder provides a search engine for contract notices on government and agency projects worth more than £10,000. It divides project notices into public sector and supply chain, breaking opportunities down further into location and contract value.
In Scotland, public contract notices must be published on Public Contracts Scotland (PCS) which provides free access to contract opportunities. It has details of contracts with Scottish local authorities, NHS Scotland, the Scottish Government, agencies and non-departmental public bodies (NDPBs), higher and further education and emergency services.
See also: Prior information notice.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Bespoke construction contract.
- Construction contractor.
- Contract documents for construction.
- Contractual obligation.
- Contractual right.
- Design and build procurement route.
- Dynamic purchasing system under the Single Procurement Document (Scotland).
- Early appointment / involvement.
- JCT Construction management contract.
- Lump sum contract.
- Prior information notice.
- Procurement route.
- Procurement team.
- Reserved contract.
- Standard form of contract.
- Tender documentation for construction projects.
- Traditional contract for construction.
- Traditional contract: tender.
- Typical tender process for construction projects.
- Variations in construction contracts.
 External sources
Featured articles and news
Commons Committee report examines COVID-19 regeneration plans.
Global building automation and control systems trends reviewed.
Significant changes to BS 7671:2018+A2:2022 announced.
Students available for administrative roles.
Delisting a World Heritage Site.
Design needs to be more diverse to be widely accessible.
It’s not always a case of the centre leading.
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.