The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) was formed by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) In 1931 when the first JCT standard form of building contract was issued (although the forms were not referred to as ‘JCT’ until 1977). JCT became a Limited Company in 1998.
It now produces a range of standard forms of contract for the construction of buildings accompanied by guidance notes and other standard forms of documentation, such as:
- Consultant agreements.
- Design agreements between an employer and a specialist designer.
- Forms of tender for main contractors, sub-contractors and sub-sub-contractors.
- Forms of contract for the supply of goods.
- Forms of bond.
- Collateral warranties.
The range of JCT construction contracts comprises:
- Standard Building Contract
- Intermediate Building Contract
- Minor Works Building Contract
- Major Project Construction Contract
- Design and Build Contract
- Management Building Contract
- Construction Management Contract
- JCT-CE Contract
- Measured Term Contract
- Prime Cost Building Contract
- Repair & Maintenance Contract
- Home Owner Contracts
JCT has seven member organisations, each representing a different sector of the construction industry, each of which nominates a Director to the JCT Board:
- British Property Federation.
- Contractors Legal Grp Limited.
- Local Government Association.
- National Specialist Contractors Council.
- Royal Institute of British Architects.
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Scottish Building Contract Committee Limited.
The JCT Council comprises 47 representatives who form the company’s five ‘Colleges’. It is these colleges that produce and amend the forms of contract:
- Employers, Clients and Local Authorities (British Property Federation, Local Government Association).
- Consultants (Association for Project Management, Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors, Royal Institute of British Architects, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors).
- Contractors (Contractors Legal Grp Limited).
- Specialists and Sub-contractors (National Specialist Contractors Council).
- Scottish Building Industry (Scottish Building Contract Committee Limited).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Appointing consultants.
- Articles of agreement.
- Building Information Modelling (BIM), Collaborative and Integrated Team Working.
- Collateral warranty.
- Construction contract.
- Intermediate Building Contract.
- Key dates.
- Latham report.
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Named specialist work.
- Procurement route.
- Standard Building Contract.
Featured articles and news
Built over a period of 632 years, Cologne Cathedral is considered one of the world's finest examples of Gothic architecture.
UandI adds £1.5bn to development pipeline.
Here are 5 things leaders can do to create a truly circular economy.
Find out about the different types of delays on construction projects.
Researchers at Wien university have developed new system to create an inflatable concrete structure.
ICE responds to the first consultation on the government's industrial strategy post-Brexit.
Take a look at this newly-opened tower in Chicago with a remarkable 20:1 height-to-base ratio.
An Arc de Triomphe for the late-20th century, the La Grande Arche of Paris.
Richard Hayward of Legrand asks whether technology could help developers meet the needs of an increasingly diverse population.
The principles, practice and formwork of one of the most important components of modern architecture.