- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Aug 2019
The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) was formed by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) in 1931 when the first JCT standard form of building contract was issued (although the forms were not referred to as ‘JCT’ until 1977). JCT became a Limited Company in 1998.
- Consultant agreements.
- Design agreements between an employer and a specialist designer.
- Forms of tender for main contractors, sub-contractors and sub-sub-contractors.
- Forms of contract for the supply of goods.
- Forms of bond.
- Collateral warranties.
The range of JCT construction contracts comprises:
- Standard Building Contract
- Intermediate Building Contract
- Minor Works Building Contract
- Major Project Construction Contract
- Design and Build Contract
- Management Building Contract
- Construction Management Contract
- JCT Constructing Excellence Contract
- Measured Term Contract
- Prime Cost Building Contract
- Repair & Maintenance Contract
- Home Owner Contracts
- JCT Sub-subcontract.
JCT has seven member organisations, each representing a different sector of the construction industry, each of which nominates a Director to the JCT Board:
- British Property Federation.
- Contractors Legal Grp Limited.
- Local Government Association.
- National Specialist Contractors Council.
- Royal Institute of British Architects.
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Scottish Building Contract Committee Limited.
- Employers, Clients and Local Authorities (British Property Federation, Local Government Association).
- Consultants (Association for Project Management, Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors, Royal Institute of British Architects, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors).
- Contractors (Contractors Legal Grp Limited).
- Specialists and Sub-contractors (National Specialist Contractors Council).
- Scottish Building Industry (Scottish Building Contract Committee Limited).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Appointing consultants.
- Articles of agreement.
- Building Information Modelling (BIM), Collaborative and Integrated Team Working.
- Collateral warranty.
- Construction contract.
- Core clause.
- Intermediate Building Contract.
- Key dates.
- Latham report.
- Levelling the playing field
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Named specialist work.
- Procurement route.
- Standard Building Contract.
Featured articles and news
We have a great range of introductory articles written by ECA.
7 of the most common myths, busted.
Consider a career in the electrotechnical industry.
Exploring local assets of community significance. Book review.
Wood-burning stoves should not be used in thatch-roofed buildings.
Servitisation, smart systems and connectivity.
What happens to the Construction Products Regulation if there is no Brexit deal.
The first step to long-term prosperity.
The status and rights of employees in construction
Continuing to share environmental best practice.
The employee assistance programme EAP.