- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 Aug 2020
Standard Building Contract
The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) was formed by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) In 1931 when the first JCT standard form of building contract was issued (although the forms were not referred to as ‘JCT’ until 1977). JCT became a Limited Company in 1998. It now produces a range of standard forms of contract for the construction of buildings accompanied by guidance notes and other standard forms of documentation.
The 2016 edition was released on 4 November 2016. New features include:
- Incorporation of the provisions of the JCT Public Sector Supplement 2011.
- Adjustments to reflect the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 and the Public Contracts Regulations 2015.
- Amendments to the works and existing structures insurance provisions.
- Revision and simplification of the Section 4 Payment provisions.
- Provisions for the grant of Performance Bonds and Parent Company guarantees.
- Revisions to the way the requirements for Collateral Warranties are set out.
- Incorporation of the provisions of the JCT 2012 Named Specialist Update.
The 2016 edition includes the following documents:
- Standard Building Contract With Quantities (SBC/Q).
- Standard Building Contract Without Quantities (SBC/XQ).
- Standard Building Contract With Approximate Quantities (SBC/AQ).
- Standard Building Contract Guide (SBC/G).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Agreement (SBCSub/A).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Conditions (SBCSub/C).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract with sub-contractor’s design Agreement (SBCSub/D/A).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract with sub-contractor’s design Conditions (SBCSub/D/C).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Guide (SBCSub/G).
- Standard Building Contract With Quantities (SBC/Q) Tracked Change Document.
- Standard Building Contract Without Quantities (SBC/XQ) Tracked Change Document.
- Standard Building Contract With Approximate Quantities (SBC/AQ) Tracked Change Document.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles of agreement.
- Collateral warranty.
- Construction contract.
- Intermediate Building Contract.
- JCT Design and Build Contract.
- Key dates.
- Latham report.
- Management Building Contract.
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Procurement route.
- Standard form of contract.
Featured articles and news
Myths and top tips.
CLC plans to ease impact of construction inflation.
BG 50 & VDI 2035 – your questions answered.
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.