- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Feb 2018
Standard Building Contract
The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) was formed by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) In 1931 when the first JCT standard form of building contract was issued (although the forms were not referred to as ‘JCT’ until 1977). JCT became a Limited Company in 1998. It now produces a range of standard forms of contract for the construction of buildings accompanied by guidance notes and other standard forms of documentation.
The 2016 edition was released on 4 November 2016. Ref https://corporate.jctltd.co.uk/jct-releases-standard-building-contract-2016/
New features of the JCT 2016 edition include:
- Incorporation of the provisions of the JCT Public Sector Supplement 2011.
- Adjustments to reflect the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 and the Public Contracts Regulations 2015.
- Amendments to the works and existing structures insurance provisions.
- Revision and simplification of the Section 4 Payment provisions.
- Provisions for the grant of Performance Bonds and Parent Company guarantees.
- Revisions to the way the requirements for Collateral Warranties are set out.
- Incorporation of the provisions of the JCT 2012 Named Specialist Update.
The 2016 edition includes the following documents:
- Standard Building Contract With Quantities (SBC/Q).
- Standard Building Contract Without Quantities (SBC/XQ).
- Standard Building Contract With Approximate Quantities (SBC/AQ).
- Standard Building Contract Guide (SBC/G).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Agreement (SBCSub/A).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Conditions (SBCSub/C).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract with sub-contractor’s design Agreement (SBCSub/D/A).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract with sub-contractor’s design Conditions (SBCSub/D/C).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Guide (SBCSub/G).
- Standard Building Contract With Quantities (SBC/Q) Tracked Change Document.
- Standard Building Contract Without Quantities (SBC/XQ) Tracked Change Document.
- Standard Building Contract With Approximate Quantities (SBC/AQ) Tracked Change Document.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles of agreement.
- Collateral warranty.
- Construction contract.
- Intermediate Building Contract.
- Key dates.
- Latham report.
- Management Building Contract.
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Procurement route.
- Standard form of contract.
Featured articles and news
Book review: The vertebrate architecture of one of the most important practices of the 20th century.
Matt Rhodes, Quiss Technology, explains how an increasing number are falling victim to sophisticated cyber-attacks.
Assembly drawings represent items that consist of more than one component and show how they fit together.
Is the water sector under too much pressure from the regulator?
Everything you need to know about acoustics in under 800 words.
Check out our list of the 90 most unusual buildings of all time.
The government is to set a personal consumption target to reduce water use.
BSRIA calls for more education to promote fuels that are fit to burn.
Michael Gove admits air pollution is making people ill and shortening lives.
BRE call for a clearer, focused drive for the delivery of sustainable, quality developments.
Proposals for a 140m high observation wheel next to the Tyne.