- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Feb 2018
Standard Building Contract
The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) was formed by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) In 1931 when the first JCT standard form of building contract was issued (although the forms were not referred to as ‘JCT’ until 1977). JCT became a Limited Company in 1998. It now produces a range of standard forms of contract for the construction of buildings accompanied by guidance notes and other standard forms of documentation.
The 2016 edition was released on 4 November 2016. Ref https://corporate.jctltd.co.uk/jct-releases-standard-building-contract-2016/
New features of the JCT 2016 edition include:
- Incorporation of the provisions of the JCT Public Sector Supplement 2011.
- Adjustments to reflect the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 and the Public Contracts Regulations 2015.
- Amendments to the works and existing structures insurance provisions.
- Revision and simplification of the Section 4 Payment provisions.
- Provisions for the grant of Performance Bonds and Parent Company guarantees.
- Revisions to the way the requirements for Collateral Warranties are set out.
- Incorporation of the provisions of the JCT 2012 Named Specialist Update.
The 2016 edition includes the following documents:
- Standard Building Contract With Quantities (SBC/Q).
- Standard Building Contract Without Quantities (SBC/XQ).
- Standard Building Contract With Approximate Quantities (SBC/AQ).
- Standard Building Contract Guide (SBC/G).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Agreement (SBCSub/A).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Conditions (SBCSub/C).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract with sub-contractor’s design Agreement (SBCSub/D/A).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract with sub-contractor’s design Conditions (SBCSub/D/C).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Guide (SBCSub/G).
- Standard Building Contract With Quantities (SBC/Q) Tracked Change Document.
- Standard Building Contract Without Quantities (SBC/XQ) Tracked Change Document.
- Standard Building Contract With Approximate Quantities (SBC/AQ) Tracked Change Document.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles of agreement.
- Collateral warranty.
- Construction contract.
- Intermediate Building Contract.
- Key dates.
- Latham report.
- Management Building Contract.
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Procurement route.
- Standard form of contract.
Featured articles and news
GMP is an agreement with a contractor that the contract sum will not exceed a specified maximum. Read more here.
The BREEAM Sustainability Champion is changing to the Advisory Professional - here's what you need to know.
A fresh round of job-cuts takes the total number of redundancies to over 1,000.
Read our introductory article to the completion date in construction contracts.
Almost 90% of freight in London is moved by road. The River Thames could add much needed extra capacity.
National Infrastructure Commission warn that large infrastructure projects are at risk of falling behind.
The quality of Cambridge owes as much to its open spaces as to its architectural uniqueness.
If events occur that cause the completion of the works to be delayed then these may be compensation events.
BSRIA's new Building MOTs Scheme is designed to provide guidance on the next steps after compliance.
At an ICE discussion, the focus was on delivering a Northern Infrastructure Strategy based on opportunity for all.