- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 Aug 2020
Standard Building Contract
The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) was formed by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) In 1931 when the first JCT standard form of building contract was issued (although the forms were not referred to as ‘JCT’ until 1977). JCT became a Limited Company in 1998. It now produces a range of standard forms of contract for the construction of buildings accompanied by guidance notes and other standard forms of documentation.
The 2016 edition was released on 4 November 2016. New features include:
- Incorporation of the provisions of the JCT Public Sector Supplement 2011.
- Adjustments to reflect the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 and the Public Contracts Regulations 2015.
- Amendments to the works and existing structures insurance provisions.
- Revision and simplification of the Section 4 Payment provisions.
- Provisions for the grant of Performance Bonds and Parent Company guarantees.
- Revisions to the way the requirements for Collateral Warranties are set out.
- Incorporation of the provisions of the JCT 2012 Named Specialist Update.
The 2016 edition includes the following documents:
- Standard Building Contract With Quantities (SBC/Q).
- Standard Building Contract Without Quantities (SBC/XQ).
- Standard Building Contract With Approximate Quantities (SBC/AQ).
- Standard Building Contract Guide (SBC/G).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Agreement (SBCSub/A).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Conditions (SBCSub/C).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract with sub-contractor’s design Agreement (SBCSub/D/A).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract with sub-contractor’s design Conditions (SBCSub/D/C).
- Standard Building Sub-Contract Guide (SBCSub/G).
- Standard Building Contract With Quantities (SBC/Q) Tracked Change Document.
- Standard Building Contract Without Quantities (SBC/XQ) Tracked Change Document.
- Standard Building Contract With Approximate Quantities (SBC/AQ) Tracked Change Document.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles of agreement.
- Collateral warranty.
- Construction contract.
- Intermediate Building Contract.
- JCT Design and Build Contract.
- Key dates.
- Latham report.
- Management Building Contract.
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Procurement route.
- Standard form of contract.
Featured articles and news
Creating comfortable climates despite extreme temperatures.
Study examines how adjustable arrangements can succeed.
Government announces plans to improve accessibility.
Resource addresses pandemic-related NEC4 contract issues.
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.
Plan stresses local involvement in city, town and village development.