- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Jun 2019
JCT Design and Build Contract
The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) Design and Build Contract (DB) is intended for use on construction projects following the design and build procurement route. This involves appointing a main contractor to design (or complete the design) of the project and then to go on and construct it. This is as opposed to the traditional procurement route in which the client appoints consultants to design the project and then a contractor is appointed to construct it.
Design and build gives a single point of responsibility for delivering the entire project, and can help ensure good buildability, cost control and speed. Some clients however, consider it is only appropriate for simple projects, where retaining control over the design is not the main priority.
The scale and complexity of design and build projects can vary considerably, but the DB contract is generally suitable for projects where a detailed agreement is required, making provision for collaborative working, sustainability, advance payment, third party rights, bonds, collateral warranties and so on.
- Design and Build contract guide (DB/G).
- Design and Build sub-contract agreement (DBSub/A).
- Design and Build sub-contract conditions (DBSub/C).
- Short form of sub-contract (ShortSub): For small-scale subcontract works that are simple and involve low risk.
- Sub-subcontract (SubSub).
- Design and Build sub-contract guide (DBSub/G).
- Design and Build contract (DB) Tracked Change Document: Highlights the changes between the DB 2011 and 2016 editions.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Construction contract.
- Construction management contract.
- Design and build.
- Design and build - pros and cons.
- Intermediate building contract.
- JCT minor works building contract.
- JCT Sub-subcontract.
- Major project construction contract.
- Management Building Contract.
- Prime cost contract.
- Standard Building Contract.
Featured articles and news
The real impact of late payment.
How to tell which infrastructure projects will work.
The government announces the biggest change in building safety for a generation.
Key messages from the UN COP 25 conference.
Reducing the risks of buying off-plan
A lighthouse history from Eddystone to Fastnet. Book review.
Telling the story of the Government Code and Cipher School.
Are you an experienced writer with a practical understanding of the industry?
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
New Dwelling House at Grange View.
The causes of sinkholes.
The growth of megacities.
The restoration of Big Ben.