FIDIC (‘Fédération Internationale des Ingénieurs-Conseils’ or ‘the International Federation of Consulting Engineers’) was founded in 1913. It is a membership organisation, with members comprising national associations of consulting engineers from 97 countries.
It was created to promote the consulting engineering industry’s strategic goals and to disseminate information and resources.
It describes its objectives as:
- Being the recognised international authority on issues relating to consulting engineering best practice.
- Actively promoting high standards of ethics and integrity.
- Maintaining and enhancing FIDIC’s representation of the consulting engineering industry worldwide.
- Enhancing the image of consulting engineering.
- Promoting and assisting the worldwide development of viable consulting engineering industries.
- Promoting and enhancing the leading position of FIDIC’s forms of contract.
- Improving and developing FIDIC’s training and publishing activities.
- Promoting and encouraging the development of young professionals in the consulting engineering industry.
FIDIC's activities are carried out by committees and task forces appointed by an Executive Committee elected by the General Assembly.
Its core suite of contracts includes:
- Conditions of Contract for Construction (The Red Book).
- Conditions of Contract for Plant & Design-Build (The Yellow Book).
- Conditions of Contract for EPC Turnkey Projects (The Silver Book).
These are supplemented by a wide range of additional contracts and agreements, including:
- Short Form of Contract (The Green Book).
- Model Representative Agreement (The Purple Book).
- Client / Consultant Model Services Agreement (White Book).
- Dredgers Contract.
- Conditions of Contract for Design, Build and Operate Projects (DBO Contract).
- Conditions of Contract for Construction for Building and Engineering Works Designed by the Employer: The Construction Contract
- Conditions of Contract for Construction for Building and Engineering Works Designed by the Employer (MDB Harmonised Edition) - for bank financed projects only: The MDB Construction Contract
- Conditions of Contract for Plant and Design-Build for Electrical and Mechanical Plant and for Building and Engineering Works Designed by the Contractor: The Plant and Design-Build Contract.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles of agreement.
- Construction contract.
- Key dates.
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Procurement route.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Have a look at our article explaining the different types of construction contractor.
Futurist Thomas Frey explores the concept of Disposable Housing - could it be a reality sooner than we imagine?
ICE to host new exhibition offering a window onto the civil engineering achievements beneath our feet.
Do you know all the various types of defects in brickwork?
US museum reveals plans for an installation made entirely of paper tubes.
Review of a book looking at how contemporary architecture found its expression within neoliberal capitalism.
The Great Mosque of Djenne, the largest mud-brick building in the world.
Amanda Clack, RICS President offers recommendations to government on Brexit and the construction skills shortage.
Tired of the commute? This architecture firm believes the best solution is to take cars underground.
Why do so many women leave engineering? Probably not for the reason you’re thinking.
For over 30 years David Trench was one of the UK's leading project managers. Read about his career through some of his most famous projects.
Leading institutes join forces calling for property flood resilience measures to help householders avoid repeat flooding.