- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Jan 2016
FIDIC (‘Fédération Internationale des Ingénieurs-Conseils’ or ‘the International Federation of Consulting Engineers’) was founded in 1913. It is a membership organisation, with members comprising national associations of consulting engineers from 97 countries.
It was created to promote the consulting engineering industry’s strategic goals and to disseminate information and resources.
It describes its objectives as:
- Being the recognised international authority on issues relating to consulting engineering best practice.
- Actively promoting high standards of ethics and integrity.
- Maintaining and enhancing FIDIC’s representation of the consulting engineering industry worldwide.
- Enhancing the image of consulting engineering.
- Promoting and assisting the worldwide development of viable consulting engineering industries.
- Promoting and enhancing the leading position of FIDIC’s forms of contract.
- Improving and developing FIDIC’s training and publishing activities.
- Promoting and encouraging the development of young professionals in the consulting engineering industry.
Its core suite of contracts includes:
- Conditions of Contract for Construction (The Red Book).
- Conditions of Contract for Plant & Design-Build (The Yellow Book).
- Conditions of Contract for EPC Turnkey Projects (The Silver Book).
- Short Form of Contract (The Green Book).
- Model Representative Agreement (The Purple Book).
- Client / Consultant Model Services Agreement (White Book).
- Dredgers Contract.
- Conditions of Contract for Design, Build and Operate Projects (DBO Contract).
- Conditions of Contract for Construction for Building and Engineering Works Designed by the Employer: The Construction Contract
- Conditions of Contract for Construction for Building and Engineering Works Designed by the Employer (MDB Harmonised Edition) - for bank financed projects only: The MDB Construction Contract
- Conditions of Contract for Plant and Design-Build for Electrical and Mechanical Plant and for Building and Engineering Works Designed by the Contractor: The Plant and Design-Build Contract.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Articles of agreement.
- Construction contract.
- Key dates.
- Minor works.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Procurement route.
 External references
Featured articles and news
An artist finds ruined and decaying buildings a source of inspiration for his work. Book review.
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.
New consultation announced on a specialist Housing Court to settle landlord-tenant disputes.
ICE responds to a transport consultation advising the government to make decisions enabling more inclusive cities.
BRE and Loughborough University complete first phase refurbishment of demonstration home.
If you’re a great writer and have practical experience of the construction industry, it could be you.
Frustrated by long documents or technical jargon? Put off by sign-up forms or costs? Take this 5 min survey to help improve construction knowledge.