- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 03 Feb 2015
Patterns was an occasional, in-house technical journal published by Buro Happold between 1987 and 2011. There were 16 editions of Patterns and 2 special issues.
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory
Patterns 2 was published in April 1988. Click on the image below to open.
- The Changing Role of the Consultant Engineer in the UK. By Ted Happold.
- An Extension to Worcester College, Oxford. By Rod Macdonald.
- Fire Engineering. By Mick Green.
- Refurbishment at the Royal College of Art, London. By Peter Brooke, Richard Harris & Din Patel.
- Butter Process Plant for Anchor Foods, Swindon. By John Morrison & Peter Buckthorp
- Wellsite Engineering. By Vincent Grant.
- Community Buildings under Westway, London. By Peter Cunningham.
Patterns is reproduced with the kind permission of --Buro Happold.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Which room is the most fun to design? Find out the 'Grand Designs' presenter's unusual choice in our interview.
Full suite of speakers are announced for this year's BSRIA Briefing event.
Book your place for the Architectural Technology Awards 2018.
There are many ways of classifying types of building. Have a look at our range of building articles.
BSRIA have launched the 'major update' of the go-to design framework guide for building services.
How to get results with building life cycle assessment.
Government publishes a prospectus inviting proposals for new 'garden communities'.
The Morandi motorway bridge in Genoa collapses during rainstorm while undergoing maintenance works.
'Developed design' is a phrase coined by the RIBA for their 2013 Plan of Work. But what does it actually mean?
New green paper published aiming to rebalance the relationship between landlords and residents and tackle stigma.
RIBA calls for a comprehensive ban on combustible materials.