Patterns was an occasional, in-house technical journal published by Buro Happold between 1987 and 2011. There were 16 editions of Patterns and 2 special issues.
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory
Patterns 2 was published in April 1988. Click on the image below to open.
- The Changing Role of the Consultant Engineer in the UK. By Ted Happold.
- An Extension to Worcester College, Oxford. By Rod Macdonald.
- Fire Engineering. By Mick Green.
- Refurbishment at the Royal College of Art, London. By Peter Brooke, Richard Harris & Din Patel.
- Butter Process Plant for Anchor Foods, Swindon. By John Morrison & Peter Buckthorp
- Wellsite Engineering. By Vincent Grant.
- Community Buildings under Westway, London. By Peter Cunningham.
Patterns is reproduced with the kind permission of --Buro Happold.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
UK-GBC green paper proposes more powers for cities on new-build housing.
The Pompidou Centre – not a monument but an event.
The Chartered Institute of Building restructures and launches 29 new local hubs.
Designing Buildings Wiki talks to the founder of the world's first indoor biophilic gym, now open in London.
£1.3bn Swansea Bay project to be backed as a 'pathfinder' for other tidal lagoon projects.
Designs released for a proposed Las Vegas stadium to entice the Oakland Raiders.
Have a look at these award-winning concept designs for a thermal bath in Latvia.
Flagship project no longer "a going concern" according to the Garden Bridge Trust as funding slows.
How the work of 20th century urbanist Jane Jacobs continues to resonate in light of the government's garden village plans.
New landmark for the Ecuadorean capital of Quito utilises a sinuous facade mold system.
Have a look at this glass piano and violin building in China.