- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 03 Feb 2015
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced on Designing Buildings Wiki with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
This, the first edition, was published in October 1987. It illustrated some of the engineering aspects of the practice's work overseas which contributed to Buro Happold receiving the Queen's Award for Export Achievement.
Click on the image above to open Patterns 1.
The contents of Patterns 1 are:
- Ten Years Overseas, by Edmund Happold.
- Working Overseas - Organisation & Management, by Peter Buckthorp.
- KOCOMMAS, by Terry Ealey & Rod Macdonald.
- Construction Analysis: Unconventional Structures, by Rodger Webster.
- The Al Marzook Centre for Islamic Medicine, Kuwait, by John Morrison & Terry Ealey.
- Working in Iraq, by Rod Macdonald.
- National Museum of Archaeology, Amman, by Michael Dickson & Mike Shaw.
- ADF Sports Centre, Jeddah, by Brian Cole & Ian Liddell.
- A Covered Northern Township, Alberta by Ian Liddell.
- Developments In Fabric Structures, by Ian Liddell, David Wakefield & Mike Cook.
- Four Neighbourhood Mosques for the Diplomatic Quarter, Riyadh, by Ian Duncan.
- Diplomatic Club, Riyadh, by Terry Ealey, Vincent Grant, Mick Green & Tony Mclaughlin.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Do you understand the different types of stone and which ones you should use where?
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.
Book review: Buildings of protestant nonconformity.
Design and testing for health and wellbeing - free download from BRE.
Retention in construction contracts.
Campaign for the reform of cash retentions.
The key points for the construction industry and BSRIA's response.
How to make roads safer: the debate continues.
What does the Northern Powerhouse mean for us?
The different types of bond in construction contracts.