Patterns was an occasional, in-house technical journal published by Buro Happold between 1987 and 2011. There were 16 editions of Patterns and 2 special issues.
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced on Designing Buildings Wiki with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
This, the first edition, was published in October 1987. It illustrated some of the engineering aspects of the practice's work overseas which contributed to Buro Happold receiving the Queen's Award for Export Achievement.
Click on the image above to open Patterns 1.
The contents of Patterns 1 are:
- Ten Years Overseas, by Edmund Happold.
- Working Overseas - Organisation & Management, by Peter Buckthorp.
- KOCOMMAS, by Terry Ealey & Rod Macdonald.
- Construction Analysis: Unconventional Structures, by Rodger Webster.
- The Al Marzook Centre for Islamic Medicine, Kuwait, by John Morrison & Terry Ealey.
- Working in Iraq, by Rod Macdonald.
- National Museum of Archaeology, Amman, by Michael Dickson & Mike Shaw.
- ADF Sports Centre, Jeddah, by Brian Cole & Ian Liddell.
- A Covered Northern Township, Alberta by Ian Liddell.
- Developments In Fabric Structures, by Ian Liddell, David Wakefield & Mike Cook.
- Four Neighbourhood Mosques for the Diplomatic Quarter, Riyadh, by Ian Duncan.
- Diplomatic Club, Riyadh, by Terry Ealey, Vincent Grant, Mick Green & Tony Mclaughlin.
Patterns is reproduced with the kind permission of --Buro_Happold.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Have a look at some of the most impressive concert stage designs of all time, including Pink Floyd, U2, Rolling Stones, and more...
What is the Home Quality Mark? Find out how it can help you when buying/renting a new home.
Business Secretary launches £246m Faraday Challenge to establish UK as world leader in battery technology.
Government announces new plans for regulations to improve safety and security awareness of drone users.
Read our introductory article to the various different types of fuel.
IHBC book review: Charles Barry’s monumental struggle to rebuild the Houses of Parliament.
Read about RSHP's British Museum extension which has been shortlisted for the 2017 Stirling Prize.
Read our introductory article to building a house extension.
More updates from DCMS about the large-scale testing of cladding systems and the number of buildings affected.
UandI secure resolution to grant planning consent for major new regeneration project.
IHBC article considers how heritage is dealt with when infrastructure schemes are authorised.
It was the tallest structure in the world for 3,800 years, but to this day the exact construction techniques are a mystery.
Shortlist for the industry's most coveted award announced.