- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 22 Nov 2020
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced on Designing Buildings Wiki with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
This, the first edition, was published in October 1987. It illustrated some of the engineering aspects of the practice's work overseas which contributed to Buro Happold receiving the Queen's Award for Export Achievement.
Click on the image above to open Patterns 1.
The contents of Patterns 1 are:
- Ten Years Overseas, by Edmund Happold.
- Working Overseas - Organisation & Management, by Peter Buckthorp.
- KOCOMMAS, by Terry Ealey & Rod Macdonald.
- Construction Analysis: Unconventional Structures, by Rodger Webster.
- The Al Marzook Centre for Islamic Medicine, Kuwait, by John Morrison & Terry Ealey.
- Working in Iraq, by Rod Macdonald.
- National Museum of Archaeology, Amman, by Michael Dickson & Mike Shaw.
- ADF Sports Centre, Jeddah, by Brian Cole & Ian Liddell.
- A Covered Northern Township, Alberta by Ian Liddell.
- Developments In Fabric Structures, by Ian Liddell, David Wakefield & Mike Cook.
- Four Neighbourhood Mosques for the Diplomatic Quarter, Riyadh, by Ian Duncan.
- Diplomatic Club, Riyadh, by Terry Ealey, Vincent Grant, Mick Green & Tony Mclaughlin.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Counter balanced carriages that are half elevator, half train.
Understanding ethical risks and ensuring ethical behaviour.
A summary of the key announcements.
CIOB response to the Autumn budget.
Training reflects updated guidance in BSRIA BG 29/2021.
Complete list of 2021 winners now available.
Recognising past and present role models for the future.
So why not write something?
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.