- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Dec 2020
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Patterns 4 was published in November 1988.
The contents of Patterns 4 are:
- Building Services ten years on. By Terry Ealey.
- Improvements to visitors' facilities for Pump Room and Roman Baths Museum, Bath. By Tony Mclaughlin.
- New office development at Focal Point, Swindon. By Tony Mclaughlin and Peter Buckthorp.
- Solid State Logic -new facilities at Begbroke, Oxford. By Peter Moseley.
- Residential Complex in Fintas, Kuwait. By Martin Corbett.
- Real World Studios, Box Mill. By Howard Bays.
- Buckingham Hotel -renovation in Kensington, London. By Peter Brooke.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Letter signed by 21 organisations sent to MHCLG.
A look at the Government's strategic approach.
Steps to help reduce the spread of infection inside buildings.
This social media-centred hobby can be both dangerous and illegal.
Millwork wall treatment with a long and illustrious history.
HSE introduces cumulative exposure calculator.
The Edwardians and their houses.
Cut off from civilian life for over 900 years.
Gaining green support from the carbon giants.
Medieval passageways with spiritual, transport and economic purposes.
Organisation receives accreditation from Investors in People.
Click the button to subscribe.
Communicating the right information at the right time.
Materials can take on different properties to control heat and glare.