- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2015
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced on Designing Buildings Wiki with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Published in 2001, Edition 13 focused on sustainability.
- Touching the Earth Lightly: An introduction to the sustainability debate. By Michael Dickson.
- Global Warning: Issues of planetary health. By Sir Crispin Tickell.
- City Limits: The holistic approach to urban planning. By Jeremy Caulton.
- It's not easy being Green: Greening a blue-chip HQ. By Tony Mclaughlin.
- A Timber Renaissance. By James Rowe
- A Material Difference. By Dr Andrew Cripps
- Energy Alternatives. By Doug King.
- Photovoltaic Solutions. By Andre Chaszar.
- Greywater Success. By Chew Pieng Ryan.
- The air that we breathe. By lain Gillespie.
- Resilient Envelopes. By Tony Mclaughlin.
- Supermodels. By Garry Palmer.
- Sustainable Measurement. By Dr Bill Addis.
- Accepting the challenge for the Future: The Young Engineer's View. By Ruth Haynes
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Industrial Buildings Allowance
ICE outlines plan for more effective infrastructure.
A review of Scotland’s historic lighthouses.
Choosing the most suitable heating system.
Another year of growth, says BSRIA.
Property practices to help tenant retention.
Fire rips through HPL cladding in Bolton.
Disturbing complacency over short courses.
The new science of building engineering physics.
How new technologies and processes could impact on energy efficiency and wellbeing.
BRE launches the BREEAM Data Centres Annex Pilot.
Replacing lanterns and overthrows in Great Pulteney Street.