- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2015
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Patterns 11 was published in August 1993.
The contents of Patterns 11 are:
- A journey in Saudi Arabia. By Edmund Happold.
- The Kasr Al Hokm District Redevelopment, Riyadh. By Padraic Kelly, Terry Ealey and Rodger Webster.
- The Grand Mosque, Riyadh - Jamea Al Imam Turki bin Abdulla. By Terry Ealey and Padraic Kelly.
- Half Moon Bay - A resort complex in eastern Saudi Arabia. By Padraic Kelly and Graham Pontin.
- Quba Mosque, Medina. By Michael Dickson and Richard Harris.
- Strengthening of a 26-storey apartment tower -The Sultan Tower, Cairo. By Terry Ealey.
- Damage assessment in Kuwait. By Terry Ealey, John Fraud and Richard Harns.
- Pearls of Kuwait - Environmental assessment as part of the design process. By Judith Teasdale.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
A guide to daylight design for commercial buildings.
Two opposite approaches to cost estimating that can work together.
BSRIA reports on propsects for the US construction industry.
ECA research shows lack of preparation amongst survey respondents.
Smart mapping approaches for building better infrastructure.
The importance of emergency planning.
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.