- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2015
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced on Designing Buildings Wiki with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Patterns 14 was published in March 2005.
The contents of Patterns 14 are:
- The strengths of weak materials. By Ian Liddell
- Key lime. By Adrian Taylor.
- Card business. By Florian Foerster.
- Glazed over. By Peter Thompson.
- Spanning the future. By Russell Winser.
- Warm edges. By Russell Winser.
Lightweight and sheet materials
- Beam me up. By Angus Palmer.
- Shelter from the storm. By Rachel Battilana.
- Bags of water. By Ian Liddell.
- Wood he natural choice. By Richard Harris.
- Engineered wood - bigger, better, stronger. By Richard Harris.
- A case of the shakes. By Dr Sarah Prichard.
- Fire strategies for steel. By Mick Green.
- A cast iron solution. By Gavin Jack.
Future of materials
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.