- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2015
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Patterns 12 was published in July 1997 to commemorate the life of Ted Happold.
The contents of Patterns 12 are:
- Citation: Honourary Doctor of Engineering
- On Being An Engineer.
- Early Life and Work at Ove Arup & Partners.
- 1976-96 His time at Buro Happold.
- Sir Basil Spence.
- Trevor Dannatt.
- Lambeth - Ted Hollamby et al.
- Rolf Gutbrod.
- Frei Otto.
- Beaubourg 1971-76.
- Mannheim Bundesgartenschau (Garden Festival), 1974-75.
- The Role of the Engineer.
- Engineering Design Research.
- Engineering Design Research - Roundwood Timber.
- Lightweight Structures Research.
- Research into Environmental Engineering.
- Projects in the World of Islam.
- Ted Happold's Legacy.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
From alabaster to travertine – how many types do you know?
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.
Book review: Buildings of protestant nonconformity.
Design and testing for health and wellbeing - free download from BRE.