- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Dec 2020
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
The contents of Patterns 12 are:
- Citation: Honourary Doctor of Engineering
- On Being An Engineer.
- Early Life and Work at Ove Arup & Partners.
- 1976-96 His time at Buro Happold.
- Sir Basil Spence.
- Trevor Dannatt.
- Lambeth - Ted Hollamby et al.
- Rolf Gutbrod.
- Frei Otto.
- Beaubourg 1971-76.
- Mannheim Bundesgartenschau (Garden Festival), 1974-75.
- The Role of the Engineer.
- Engineering Design Research.
- Engineering Design Research - Roundwood Timber.
- Lightweight Structures Research.
- Research into Environmental Engineering.
- Projects in the World of Islam.
- Ted Happold's Legacy.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Can the profession use its skills to save the world from climate change?
How faulty science resulted in sanitation reform.
Improving facilities, accessibility and overall appearance.
Free download of TG 12/2021 available.
TESP works with The Youth Group to form skill sharing network.
Big tech collaborates on platform for the built environment.
Letter signed by 21 organisations sent to MHCLG.
A look at the Government's strategic approach.
Steps to help reduce the spread of infection inside buildings.
This social media-centred hobby can be both dangerous and illegal.
Millwork wall treatment with a long and illustrious history.
HSE introduces cumulative exposure calculator.
The Edwardians and their houses.
Cut off from civilian life for over 900 years.
Click the button to subscribe.