- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2015
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Patterns 5 was published in May 1989.
The contents of Patterns 5 are:
- Chariots of Fire. By Ted Happold.
- The Engineering of Surface Stressed Structures. By Ian Liddell.
- Interactive Graphic CAD for Tension Structures. By David Wakefield.
- Recent Developments In the Design of Tension Structures. By Mike Cook.
- Aviaries: Munich, San Diego and Hong Kong. By Michael Dickson.
- King Abdul Aziz University Sports Hall, Jeddah. By Eddie Pugh.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
The role of HVAC systems in the safe return to work.
CLC provides guidance related to product marks, post-Brexit.
Net zero goals incorporated into plans for a new European Bauhaus.
BREEAM offers its resilient approach to Building Back Better.
Country moves one step closer to creating independent body.
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.