- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 19 Feb 2021
Urgent Action Water
Urgent Action Water, is a beautifully designed and expertly written electronic book produced in conjunction with publisher St James House. It profiles influential projects that illustrate the impact civil engineering can have in ensuring clean water and sanitation for all. It features photography and ICE archival images throughout, and explores a range of initiatives, research and innovations, bringing together stories of engineering success and best practice.
Initiatives presented include:
- SEALY’s work in Doha, where the project introduced a gravity-based sewerage system designed to self-cleanse, reducing the need for water, pumps and maintenance for its 100-year life.
- Swan’s MANTIS water pump work in rural Africa, a tool for remote monitoring that helps efficiently maintain water hand pumps.
- A radical project by Mahoney in Sheffield, which transformed the city’s roads into a network of sustainable drainage and rain gardens.
Mark Hansford, ICE Director of Engineering Knowledge, said: “We all have a role to play in delivering the sustainable development goals. Ensuring communities have access to clean water and sanitation must remain a priority, and we know engineers can help. This publication highlights some of the ways we have, and can continue, to do this. Civil engineers and the work they do have a fantastic impact on the world and lives of those around them. They shape the world, and we are proud to continue to tell the world about what they do.”
You can download the e-book at: https://www.ice.org.uk/news-and-insight/latest-ice-news/new-ebook-looks-at-creating-sustainable-future
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Achieving sustainable clean water infrastructure for all.
- Environmental performance of the water and sewerage companies.
- ICE articles.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems SUDS.
- Sustainable water management.
- Sustainable water.
- The Institution of Civil Engineers.
- The SUDS manual.
- Water conservation.
- Water consumption.
- Water engineering.
- World Water Day.
Featured articles and news
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.