- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
About The Institution of Civil Engineers
ICE is home to a global network of civil engineers
Institute / association
The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) is a charity and international membership organisation established to foster and promote the art and science of civil engineering. It was founded in 1818 and was granted a royal charter in 1828. Its head office is at One Great George Street in Westminster, London, and it represents more than 86,000 members worldwide.
As well as supporting its members to become qualified, it also encourages them to continue their professional development by providing a variety of knowledge resources. These include industry-leading publications and tailored training courses.
In September 2015 ICE became a sponsor of Designing Buildings Wiki. ICE's Director of Engineering Knowledge, Nathan Baker, said, “ICE is the world's oldest engineering institution, established nearly 200 years ago. Our knowledge base is rich and diverse, and as a Learned Society, fostering and sharing this knowledge through a variety of resources sits at the heart of what we do. It encourages innovation and excellence in the industry – and ultimately benefits society."
Designing Buildings Wiki Chairman David Trench CBE said, “ICE are a vital addition to our family of high-profile supporters, helping us become a truly comprehensive knowledge base, representative of the whole construction industry."
Articles by ICE on Designing Buildings Wiki include:
- ICE recommendations for the Government Construction Strategy 2018 update. June 2018
- Interoperability: The ability of computer systems or software to exchange and make use of information. June 2018
- Lords industrial strategy debate. Jan 2018
- ICE online archives. Jan 2018
- Why engineers need to know more about existing infrastructure. Dec 2017
- Autonomous vehicles - do we trust them? Dec 2017
- Modern train stations. Dec 2017
- Water resource planning. Nov 2017
- Energy from waste. Nov 2017
- What to expect of sustainability professionals. Nov 2017
- Professor Lord Mair to become ICE President. Nov 2017
- Highway infrastructure and local authorities. Nov 2017
- In Plain Sight: reducing the risk of infrastructure failure. Nov 2017
- Teeside Collective - carbon capture and storage. October 2017
- The convergence of technology and infrastructure sectors. October 2017
- Conservative conference - industrial strategy. October 2017
- Engineering Cleaner Air. October 2017.
- Rethinking Masterplanning. October 2017.
- High density floating track slab. Sept 2017
- Subsidy-free low carbon electricity. Sept 2017
- Perceptions of the construction sector. Sept 2017
- The impact of artificial intelligence on built environment. Sept 2017
- Super-strength steel structures. Sept 2017
- Civil engineering and language. Sept 2017
- Age diversity for social cohesion. Sept 2017
- UK decarbonisation. Sept 2017
- NEC contracts and collaborative working. Aug 2017
- What makes a great place to work? Aug 2017
- Thames Tideway update. Aug 2017
- Concrete and fire safety. Aug 2017
- The impact of digital on civil engineering. Aug 2017
- Sustainable water management. Aug 2017
- Review of Industry Digitisation. Aug 2017
- NEC early warning notices - a tool of mutual benefit. Aug 2017
- Hydroinformatics. July 2017
- Application Programming Interfaces (APIs). July 2017
- Compensation events and Brexit. July 2017
- The readiness of UK companies to adopt new digital technologies. July 2017
- Urban design education. July 2017
- NEC4 Alliance contract. July 2017
- Global undergrounds - exploring cities within. June 2017
- Helping achieve the UN's Sustainable Development Goals. June 2017
- NEC4 Design, Build and Operate Contract. June 2017
- Follo Line, Norway. June 2017
- East West Metro Tunnel, Calcutta. June 2017
- NEC4 - legal and insurance aspects. June 2017
- Trading systems for water resources. June 2017
- Guide Dogs' Inclusivity campaign. May 2017
- Place infrastructure at the heart of economic policy. May 2017
- Autonomous vehicles and insurance. May 2017
- Sustainable Living research project. May 2017
- Mixed reality. May 2017
- Engineers and politics. May 2017
- Dynamic response to energy. Apr 2017
- Property flood resilience. Apr 2017
- Skills shortage and Brexit. Apr 2017
- Professional conduct. Apr 2017
- Tunnel Engineering Exhibition 2017. Apr 2017
- Building an industrial strategy. Apr 2017
- How to connect unconnected vehicles. Apr 2017
- Engineering resilience to human threats. Apr 2017
- Key Brexit challenges facing infrastructure and construction. Apr 2017
- Significant Code Review. Apr 2017
- Bamboo. Apr 2017
- Safeguarding infrastructure post-Brexit. Apr 2017
- State of the nation: Digital transformation. Mar 2017
- ICE Grenfell Tower review. July 2017
- Inclusivity in engineering. Mar 2017
- PFIs and adjudication. Mar 2017
- Vital infrastructure and redevelopment. Mar 2017
- Routes to low carbon energy. Mar 2017
- Energy, resilience and climate change knowledge campaign. Mar 2017
- How to make the digital revolution a success. Mar 2017
- Infrastructure and cyber attacks. Feb 2017.
- Planning and managing Hinkley Point C. Feb 2017
- Municipal energy. Feb 2017
- Data from smart energy meters. Feb 2017
- Structural engineering codes. Feb 2017
- Car sharing. Feb 2017
- Improving the energy efficiency of buildings. Feb 2017
- Why BIM will carry on booming. Jan 2017
- ICE Peoples Choice Award 2017. Jan 2017
- The challenges facing Hyperloop One. Jan 2017
- The role of transport in ending global poverty. Jan 2017
- Civil Engineering Procedure. Jan 2017
- Jane Jacobs and garden villages. Jan 2017
- How new technologies can extend the lifetimes of heritage structures. Jan 2017
- The future of green infrastructure. Jan 2017
- Engineering in the 21st century. Jan 2017
- Forensic engineering in developing countries. Dec 2016
- Creating a smarter, more flexible energy system. Dec 2016
- Infrastructure under Mayor Sadiq Khan. Dec 2016
- Adjudicators and bias. Nov 2016
- Industrial plant and construction operations. Nov 2016
- Queensferry Crossing. Nov 2016
- What has the UK done about carbon reduction since the Paris Agreement? Nov 2016
- Marine energy. Oct 2016
- Carbon capture and storage. Oct 2016
- National Needs Assessment. Oct 2016
- Devolution and development. Oct 2016
- Earthen construction. Oct 2016
- What the new retail market will mean for the water sector. Sept 2016
- ICE recommendations on Palace of Westminster. Sept 2016
- Smarter future for energy. Sept 2016
- Managing and responding to disasters. Sept 2016
- Engineers and hurricanes. Sept 2016
- Artificial intelligence and civil engineering. August 2016
- Birmingham Central Library demolition. August 2016.
- Smart motorway. August 2016
- Augmented reality in construction. August 2016.
- Construction Planning, 2nd ed. August 2016.
- Alkali-aggregate reaction. July 2016
- Delta Works sea defences. July 2016.
- Keeping the Humber bridge moving. July 2016.
- BIM in Germany. July 2016.
- Brexit - The case for infrastructure. July 2016.
- State of the nation: Devolution. June 2016.
- Shale gas. June 2016.
- Infrastructure Transformation. June 2016.
- Water transfers and interconnections. June 2016.
- Oil - a global perspective. June 2016.
- The use of drones in the construction of Crossrail. June 2016.
- Matthew Davidson. June 2016
- Captain William Francis Dawson. June 2016
- Robert Davies. June 2016
- General Hugh Debbieg. June 2016
- Major Henry De Bude. June 2016
- Sir Bernard De Gomme. June 2016
- Delaval family. May 2016
- John Theophilus Desaguliers. May 2016
- John Peter Desmaretz. May 2016
- Natural gas. May 2016.
- Marine energy and hydropower. May 2016.
- Abraham Darby III. May 2016
- William Dargan. May 2016
- James Davidson. May 2016
- Robert Daglish. May 2016.
- Lord Basil William Douglas Daer. May 2016
- Road improvement scheme consultation. April 2016.
- Ethical sourcing. April 2016
- Sustainable water. April 2016.
- Recyclable construction materials. April 2016.
- Road development process. March 2016.
- Types of road and street. March 2016
- NEC contracts - road development and management schemes. March 2016.
- Hounslow highways pathfinder private finance initiative case study. March 2016.
- Ethical sourcing. March 2016.
- Groundwater control in urban areas. March 2016.
- The NEC and the Z clause. March 2016.
- Design standards for road development and improvement schemes. March 2016.
- PAS 2080 Carbon management in Infrastructure. March 2016.
- Supply chain collaboration. March 2016.
- Air Quality Taskforce. February 2016.
- Buying green in the construction industry. February 2016.
- The use of drones in the construction of Crossrail. November 2015.
- Sinkholes. November 2015.
- Global positioning systems and global navigation satellite systems. October 2016
- Hounslow highways pathfinder private finance initiative case study. October 2015.
- Publicly Available Specification to improve the visibility and resilience of buried services. October 2015.
- The Trabocchi. September 2015.
- Dove Stone Hydropower. August 2015.
- Offsite manufacturing. August 2015.
- Diversity in the construction industry. June 2015.
- Solar energy. June 2015
- Institution of Civil Engineers ICE. April 2014.
Other articles related to ICE
Featured articles and news
The phrase ‘time at large’ describes the situation where there is no date for completion, or it has become invalid.
The Maldives is under threat from climate change. Read this report from BRE on their potential involvement in the region.
MHCLG update states there are still 124 private high-rise buildings with unsafe cladding and no remediation plan.
Starting a new built environment degree? We have a wide range of resources aimed at students.
Former railway chief James Blake says trust and control are key to successful infrastructure projects.
Do you know your Rococo from your De Stijl, your Gothic from your Post-modernist?
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.
This article offers some basic rules to follow when writing your next specification.
The iconic Mackintosh Building will definitely be rebuilt, board chairwoman confirms.
The machinery used to fashion stone has changed dramatically - and so have the products.