- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 01 Aug 2018
Project execution plan PEP
It describes who does what and how, defining the policies, procedures and priorities that will be adopted. It may include strategies in relation to items outside of the scope of the main contract, as the client's overall project might include multiple contracts for the supply of goods and services, both from external organisations and from within the client organisation itself such as operational and maintenance contracts, the supply of equipment, relocation, and so on.
It is generally prepared by the client's project director if they have sufficient experience, or on their behalf by a project manager. On a construction management contract or a management contract it may then be taken on and developed by the construction manager or management contractor.
- Project definition and a summary of the strategic brief or later the project brief.
- Drawings insofar as they are developed at this stage.
- Project programme.
- Cost plan, cost management and accounting procedures.
- Contracting and procurement strategy.
- Roles, responsibilities and authorities. This might be set out in a responsibility matrix (or project roles table), supplemented by a contractual tree and then used to develop a schedule of services for each appointment.
- Monitoring and reporting strategies.
- Potential consultations / stakeholder management.
- Communications strategy and standards.
- Technology strategy.
- Risk assessment and risk allocation.
- Strategy for obtaining planning permission and other permissions.
- Health and safety strategy.
- Sustainability strategy
- Quality assurance strategy.
- Soft landings strategy, including business change and staff training requirements, commissioning, handover, migration, aftercare and post occupation evaluation strategy.
- Operational strategy.
- Equipment requirements (inside or outside of the building contract).
- Unusual or long-lead items.
It is likely to be presented as a report, however, where possible, information and requirements should be scheduled in a database or spreadsheet format that will be easy to expand and will be easy to use to test whether proposals satisfy requirements later in the project
NB There is some disagreement about whether this document should be described as a 'project execution plan'. It has been argued that the term 'execution plan' is more correctly applied to plans prepared by suppliers and that the client and their team actually prepare management plans. In this case, the client plan might better be described as a 'project management plan' (PMP). Other terms that might be used, include project implementation plan (PIP - although again some argue that this is a supplier document and it has recently been appropriated to have a specific meaning for BIM by PAS 1192-2), or simply 'project plan'.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Appointing consultants.
- BIM Execution Plan.
- Briefing documents.
- Business case.
- Collaborative practices.
- Document control.
- How to write a method statement.
- Preliminary business case.
- Procurement route.
- Project brief.
- Project directory.
- Project implementation plan (for BIM).
- Project programme.
- Project quality plan.
- RACI matrix.
- Schedule of services.
- Strategic brief.
- Whole life costs.
 External references
Featured articles and news
The Maldives is under threat from climate change. Read this report from BRE on their potential involvement in the region.
MHCLG update states there are still 124 private high-rise buildings with unsafe cladding and no remediation plan.
Starting a new built environment degree? We have a wide range of resources aimed at students.
Former railway chief James Blake says trust and control are key to successful infrastructure projects.
Do you know your Rococo from your De Stijl, your Gothic from your Post-modernist?
May outlines a new funding strategy for housing associations and says the 'stigma' of social housing needs to end.
RIBA launches a consultation on a new Plan of Work for Fire Safety.
This article offers some basic rules to follow when writing your next specification.
The iconic Mackintosh Building will definitely be rebuilt, board chairwoman confirms.
The machinery used to fashion stone has changed dramatically - and so have the products.
This type of pile provides support to the building, as well as acting as a heat source and a heat sink.