Project execution plan PEP
It describes who does what and how, defining the policies, procedures and priorities that will be adopted. It may include strategies in relation to items outside of the scope of the main contract, as the client's overall project might include multiple contracts for the supply of goods and services, both from external organisations and from within the client organisation itself such as operational and maintenance contracts, the supply of equipment, relocation, and so on.
It is generally prepared by the client's project director if they have sufficient experience, or on their behalf by a project manager. On a construction management contract or a management contract it may then be taken on and developed by the construction manager or management contractor.
- Project definition and a summary of the strategic brief or later the project brief.
- Drawings insofar as they are developed at this stage.
- Project programme.
- Cost plan, cost management and accounting procedures.
- Contracting and procurement strategy.
- Roles, responsibilities and authorities. This might be set out in a responsibility matrix (or project roles table), supplemented by a contractual tree and then used to develop a schedule of services for each appointment.
- Monitoring and reporting strategies.
- Potential consultations / stakeholder management.
- Communications strategy and standards.
- Technology strategy.
- Risk assessment and risk allocation.
- Strategy for obtaining planning permission and other permissions.
- Health and safety strategy.
- Sustainability strategy
- Quality assurance strategy.
- Soft landings strategy, including business change and staff training requirements, commissioning, handover, migration, aftercare and post occupation evaluation strategy.
- Operational strategy.
- Equipment requirements (inside or outside of the building contract).
- Unusual or long-lead items.
It is likely to be presented as a report, however, where possible, information and requirements should be scheduled in a database or spreadsheet format that will be easy to expand and will be easy to use to test whether proposals satisfy requirements later in the project
NB There is some disagreement about whether this document should be described as a 'project execution plan'. It has been argued that the term 'execution plan' is more correctly applied to plans prepared by suppliers and that the client and their team actually prepare management plans. In this case, the client plan might better be described as a 'project management plan' (PMP). Other terms that might be used, include project implementation plan (PIP - although again some argue that this is a supplier document and it has recently been appropriated to have a specific meaning for BIM by PAS 1192-2), or simply 'project plan'.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Appointing consultants.
- BIM Execution Plan.
- Briefing documents.
- Business case.
- Collaborative practices.
- Document control.
- Preliminary business case.
- Procurement route.
- Project brief.
- Project directory.
- Project implementation plan (for BIM).
- Project programme.
- Project quality plan.
- RACI matrix.
- Schedule of services.
- Strategic brief.
- Whole life costs.
 External references
Featured articles and news
3 ways the world’s fastest growing economies can close the infrastructure gap.
The sooner early warning notices can be appreciated as of mutual benefit rather than one-sided advantage, the better.
BSRIA responds to government green storage announcement.
What is phenomenology and how does it relate to the built environment?
Read about Belgrade's Brutalist landmark - the Western City Gate.
Read about the measures that can be taken by individuals to protect and minimise exposure to outdoor sourced air pollution.
Government announces leaseholds on new-build houses will be banned.
Transport Secretary announces public consultation into London's funding of Crossrail 2.
Have a look at some of the most impressive concert stage designs of all time, including Pink Floyd, U2, Rolling Stones, and more...
What is the Home Quality Mark? Find out how it can help you when buying/renting a new home.
Business Secretary launches £246m Faraday Challenge to establish UK as world leader in battery technology.
Government announces new plans for regulations to improve safety and security awareness of drone users.
Read our introductory article to the various different types of fuel.