A RACI matrix is a form of form of responsibility assignment matrix (RAM) that can be used to help systematically manage a process or project. RACI is an acronym that stands for; Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Informed.
These designations can be given to individuals involved in a process:
- Responsible: The person in charge of the process.
- Accountable: The person that the responsible person reports to and who must sign off decisions. NB Occasionally A is taken to mean 'Assists', that is someone that assists the responsible person.
- Consulted: People that will be involved in discussions about the process.
- Informed: People that will need to be told about the process.
There can only be one responsible person and one accountable person, but there may be several people that are consulted or informed.
The correct assignment for individuals involved in a project and can be indicated by the designation R, A, C or I for each task necessary to complete a particular process (RACI indicators). This can be recorded in the form of a RACI matrix giving clarity about the involvement of individuals and helping avoid confusion, duplication, wasted effort and omissions. A RACI matrix can provide more specific information about roles and responsibilities than might be possible with a simple tick-box responsibilities matrix.
This can be particularly useful on design and construction projects, where there are a great number of different tasks to be performed by a large number of individuals and organisations, who may never have worked together before. Knowing who is responsible for each task, who needs to be consulted and who needs to be informed can be complex, but is essential to the successful running of the project.
For example in defining project team roles for the production of Building Information Modelling (BIM) information, PAS 1192-2, suggests that RACI indicators might be used to define project delivery team roles, responsibilities and authority for information delivery post contract-award.
A RACI matrix might form part of a BIM execution plan, or a Project Execution Plan (PEP) which sets out the strategy for managing a project, it describes who does what and how, defining the policies, procedures and priorities that will be adopted. RACI indicators are also commonly used in project management software.
NB other versions of RACI include:
- RACI supplemented with the letter S to form RASCI (or sometimes RACIS), where S is for 'Support' referring to someone motivating and supporting the team.
- The addition of the letter O in the form CAIRO, where O is 'Out of the loop', referring to someone who is not part of the process.
- CAIROS, where the 'Support' role is added to CAIRO.
- RACI-VS, where V is a 'Verifier', verifying the outcome against requirements, and S is the 'Signatory' signing off on the verifiers decision.
- DACI, where D is the 'Driver'.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Design management plan.
- Design responsibility matrix.
- Design web.
- Key performance indicators.
- Master information delivery plan.
- Project execution plan.
- Project quality plan.
- Stakeholder matrix
- Task information delivery plan.
- Value engineering.
- Value management.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Read about RSHP's British Museum extension which has been shortlisted for the 2017 Stirling Prize.
Read our introductory article to building a house extension.
More updates from DCMS about the large-scale testing of cladding systems and the number of buildings affected.
UandI secure resolution to grant planning consent for major new regeneration project.
IHBC article considers how heritage is dealt with when infrastructure schemes are authorised.
It was the tallest structure in the world for 3,800 years, but to this day the exact construction techniques are a mystery.
Shortlist for the industry's most coveted award announced.
Government responds to Mark Farmer's review of industry, rejecting the call for a levy on clients.
Peter Hansford to examine what wider lessons can be learned from the fire.
Every project is subject to uncertainty. How can construction better understand uncertainty for performance improvement?
MAD Architects reveal their designs for a futuristic campus for electric car manufacturer.
Homebuyers could borrow more with better forecasting of energy bills, according to industry consortium's new report.
Read our introductory article on carbon capture and storage.