- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Apr 2017
A RACI matrix is a form of form of responsibility assignment matrix (RAM) that can be used to help systematically manage a process or project. RACI is an acronym that stands for; Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Informed.
These designations can be given to individuals involved in a process:
- Responsible: The person in charge of the process.
- Accountable: The person that the responsible person reports to and who must sign off decisions. NB Occasionally A is taken to mean 'Assists', that is someone that assists the responsible person.
- Consulted: People that will be involved in discussions about the process.
- Informed: People that will need to be told about the process.
There can only be one responsible person and one accountable person, but there may be several people that are consulted or informed.
The correct assignment for individuals involved in a project and can be indicated by the designation R, A, C or I for each task necessary to complete a particular process (RACI indicators). This can be recorded in the form of a RACI matrix giving clarity about the involvement of individuals and helping avoid confusion, duplication, wasted effort and omissions. A RACI matrix can provide more specific information about roles and responsibilities than might be possible with a simple tick-box responsibilities matrix.
This can be particularly useful on design and construction projects, where there are a great number of different tasks to be performed by a large number of individuals and organisations, who may never have worked together before. Knowing who is responsible for each task, who needs to be consulted and who needs to be informed can be complex, but is essential to the successful running of the project.
For example in defining project team roles for the production of Building Information Modelling (BIM) information, PAS 1192-2, suggests that RACI indicators might be used to define project delivery team roles, responsibilities and authority for information delivery post contract-award.
A RACI matrix might form part of a BIM execution plan, or a Project Execution Plan (PEP) which sets out the strategy for managing a project, it describes who does what and how, defining the policies, procedures and priorities that will be adopted. RACI indicators are also commonly used in project management software.
NB other versions of RACI include:
- RACI supplemented with the letter S to form RASCI (or sometimes RACIS), where S is for 'Support' referring to someone motivating and supporting the team.
- The addition of the letter O in the form CAIRO, where O is 'Out of the loop', referring to someone who is not part of the process.
- CAIROS, where the 'Support' role is added to CAIRO.
- RACI-VS, where V is a 'Verifier', verifying the outcome against requirements, and S is the 'Signatory' signing off on the verifiers decision.
- DACI, where D is the 'Driver'.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Design management plan.
- Design responsibility matrix.
- Design web.
- Key performance indicators.
- Master information delivery plan.
- Project execution plan.
- Project quality plan.
- Stakeholder matrix
- Task information delivery plan.
- Value engineering.
- Value management.
 External references
Featured articles and news
This article examines the changing policy commitments and evolving definitions of the zero carbon home.
Researchers believe they may have created a 'game-changing' new form of concrete using graphene.
Grouting refers to the injection of materials into a soil or rock formation to change its physical characteristics.
Part of Designing Buildings Wiki, BREEAM Wiki will advance knowledge sharing for the BRE family of sustainability tools.
From the decorative to the utilitarian, and from the photographed to the forgotten.
New BRE book considers the progression from project-based knowledge creation to whole-life urban knowledge management.
This CIOB article explores the concept of value in building design and construction.
BREEAM and Measurabl announce integration to improve the financial performance of commercial real estate.
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners' release new images of soon-to-open 3WTC tower in New York.
A document can be called a bond or a guarantee. Does the name matter and what is the difference between them?
New briefing note is launched focusing on increasing knowledge of housing that promotes health and wellbeing.
Arbitration is a private, contractual form of dispute resolution used in the construction industry.