- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 May 2018
Possession of the site by the contractor
The contract may state the date for possession of the site by the contractor (or commencement date), or, if not, then the site must be handed over to the contractor within a reasonable time after signing of the contract.
If the client fails to give possession of the site to the contractor, and there are no provisions for delay in the contract, then they will be in breach of contract. Even if the contract does provide for delay in giving possession of the site to the contractor, the contractor will still be able to claim for an extension of time and perhaps loss and expense.
- Handover keys.
- Discuss issues related to continued occupation of any part of the site (particularly on refurbishment projects) such as access.
- Discuss security.
- Issue any significant information about the site (such as site services, tree preservation orders, etc.).
- Discuss ongoing maintenance, operation and protection issues regarding existing structures, landscape or other features to be retained.
- Discuss noise and dust reduction measures.
- Verify insurance provisions.
- Read meters.
- Provide contact details for key personnel on both sides.
- Discuss access for client's personnel and representatives or other client contractors.
See also Pre-contract meeting. The pre-contract meeting is an important meeting that takes place after the contractor has been appointed but before work commences on site. It is an opportunity to for the project team to meet (perhaps for the first time) and to plan the construction stage.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.