- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Aug 2019
Possession of the site by the contractor
The contract may state the date for possession of the site by the contractor (or commencement date), or, if not, then the site must be handed over to the contractor within a reasonable time after signing of the contract.
If the client fails to give possession of the site to the contractor, and there are no provisions for delay in the contract, then they will be in breach of contract. Even if the contract does provide for delay in giving possession of the site to the contractor, the contractor will still be able to claim for an extension of time and perhaps loss and expense.
- Handover keys.
- Discuss issues related to continued occupation of any part of the site (particularly on refurbishment projects) such as access.
- Discuss security.
- Issue any significant information about the site (such as site services, tree preservation orders, etc.).
- Discuss ongoing maintenance, operation and protection issues regarding existing structures, landscape or other features to be retained.
- Discuss noise and dust reduction measures.
- Verify insurance provisions.
- Read meters.
- Provide contact details for key personnel on both sides.
- Discuss access for client's personnel and representatives or other client contractors.
See also Pre-contract meeting. The pre-contract meeting is an important meeting that takes place after the contractor has been appointed but before work commences on site. It is an opportunity to for the project team to meet (perhaps for the first time) and to plan the construction stage.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Architectural Technology Studio 3
Construction Industry Advisory Committee CONIAC
The real impact of late payment.
How to tell which infrastructure projects will work.
The government announces the biggest change in building safety for a generation.
Key messages from the UN COP 25 conference.
Reducing the risks of buying off-plan
A lighthouse history from Eddystone to Fastnet. Book review.
Telling the story of the Government Code and Cipher School.
Are you an experienced writer with a practical understanding of the industry?
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
New Dwelling House at Grange View.
The causes of sinkholes.