- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 19 Jul 2022
 What is PAS 9980:2022 about?
 Who is PAS 9980:2022 for?
This PAS is particularly intended for use by competent fire engineers and other competent building professionals tasked with advising on the fire risk of external wall construction of existing blocks of flats. However, it is expected that the key outputs of this appraisal will also be useful to those for whom such appraisals are carried out and those who make decisions based upon the outcome of the Fire Risk Appraisal of External Walls (FRAEWs). This will include:
- Advice agencies
- Architects and architectural technologists
- Building control bodies
- Building owners/landlords and others with functional responsibilities for management of the external wall and cladding under a building’s lease
- Building surveyors
- Façade engineers
- Fire and rescue authorities
- Fire risk assessors
- Local housing authorities
- Managing agents or facility managers
- Project managers
- Valuers and mortgage lenders
 What does PAS 9980:2022 cover?
It gives recommendations and guidance on undertaking a fire risk appraisal of external wall construction and cladding of an existing multi-storey, multi occupied residential building. A fire risk appraisal of external wall construction and cladding is described in this PAS as a fire risk appraisal of external walls (FRAEW).
The purpose of an FRAEW is to assess the risk to occupants from a fire spreading over or within the external walls of the building, and decide whether, in the specific circumstances of the building, remediation or other mitigating measures to address the risk are considered necessary.
The PAS applies where the risk is known, or suspected, to arise from the form of construction used for the external wall build up, such as the presence of combustible materials. The outcome of an FRAEW is intended to inform fire risk assessments (FRAs) of multistorey, multi occupied residential buildings and other types of building, including student accommodation, sheltered and other specialized housing and buildings converted into flats, where the evacuation strategy will be similar in nature to a purpose-built block of flats.
 Why should you use PAS 9980:2022?
- Inform a building’s fire risk assessment
- Enable consistent training in carrying out FRAEWs and thus facilitate more entrants into the profession
 How does PAS 9980 work alongside the EWS1 form. How will they be used, which takes precedence and why?
PAS 9980 is not intended as an alternative to the EWS1 form, which is for valuation purposes and is administered by RICS. However, if the likes of RICS and others wish to refer to the PAS in the future that is a matter for themselves to consider.
Information above provided by BSI, for more information and to download a copy of PAS 9980:2022 visit the BSI knowledge website directly here: https://www.bsigroup.com/en-GB/standards/pas-9980/
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- BS 8414 Fire performance of external cladding systems.
- Building codes.
- Cladding for buildings.
- Code of practice.
- Consultation opens for code of practice for fire risk appraisal and assessment of external wall construction
- PAS 9980:2021
- Publicly Available Specification PAS.
- Risk assessment under The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety.
Featured articles and news
Interview with historic built environment surveyor.
Upgraded membership category now requires assessment.
Temperature in buildings, explained on DB
Main barrier to entering the profession, new study reveals.
On Levelling-Up and Regeneration Bill.
Over 70 managers and organisations shortlisted for the 14 awards.
From biometric to electrical current, chemical and more.
Changes are due to come into force on 1st October 2022.
Heed advice and insight of this report IPA tells the government.
From the Commonwealth Association of Architects.