- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Apr 2018
BS 8414 Fire performance of external cladding systems
The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). It publishes standards and provides a range of books, self-assessment tools, conferences and training services. It also represents UK economic and social interests in European and international standards organisations.
- BS 8414-1:2015 Fire performance of external cladding systems. Test method for non-loadbearing external cladding systems applied to the masonry face of a building was published in 2015. It was then amended by BS 8414-1:2015+A1:2017 in June 2017. It can be used to test rainscreen cladding and external wall insulation systems.
- BS 8414-2:2015 Fire performance of external cladding systems. Test method for non-loadbearing external cladding systems fixed to and supported by a structural steel frame was published in 2015. It was then amended by BS 8414-2:2015+A1:2017 in June 2017.
The use of new and innovative products for cladding buildings has given rise to concerns about fire performance, as these systems are often less well understood than more traditional construction materials. A number of high profile fires have illustrated the importance of adequately testing external wall systems on a realistic scale.
First published as British Standards in 2002, the BS 8414 test methods were developed by the Building Research Establishment (BRE). They evaluate whether a cladding system subject to fire breaking out of an opening (such as a window) in an external wall, will result in excessive fire spread up the outside of the building and the potential for fire to re-enter at a higher level.
The tests are carried out in specialist laboratories, and are performed on full-scale systems (rather than small-scale samples) incorporating; joints and corner details, fixings, insulation, fire breaks, cavities and other elements of the system construction.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Automatic fire detection and alarm systems, an introductory guide to components and systems BR 510.
- ACM cladding.
- BR135: Annex B. Performance criteria and classification method for BS 8414-2:2005.
- BS 5839-1.
- BS 9999: Code of practice for fire safety in the design, management and use of buildings.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Celotex RS5000 PIR insulation.
- Cladding for buildings.
- Desktop study.
- External fire spread, Supplementary guidance to BR 187 incorporating probabilistic and time-based approaches.
- Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, third edition (BR 135).
- Fire safety design.
- Grenfell Tower fire.
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
Featured articles and news
Only 9% of construction workers are 24 or younger.
Blighting local areas, preventing investment and and encouraging anti-social behaviour.
Sharing knowledge about the conservation of the built and historic environment.
CIOB launches a call to improve quality in the built environment.
Vastint gets permission for a 6.6 hectare site to support the expansion of Leeds’ city core.
One of the Isle of Man’s best 1960s buildings.
Using renewable energy in developing countries - QSAND and Loughborough University Research collaboration.
From frost damage to sulphate attack, common causes of defects in brickwork.
Precautions to take when making advance payments.
Helping communities recover from disasters and protecting them before they occur.
Instrumentation for critical healthcare environments.