- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Aug 2017
BR135: Annex B. Performance criteria and classification method for BS 8414-2:2005
On 10 April 2007, BRE published BR135: Annex B. Performance criteria and classification method for BS 8414-2:2005, (Digest 501) by Sarah Colwell.
BR 135: Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, sets out the principles, design methodologies and fire spread performance characteristics for non-loadbearing cladding systems. It was written in response to the increasing use of thermal insulation in the refurbishment of multistorey buildings, which can offer a potential route for the spread of fire.
BR135: Annex B extends the coverage in Annex A of BRE 135 to cover cladding systems supported by a structural steel frame, in line with BS 8414-2:2005 Fire performance of external cladding systems. Part 2: Test method for non-loadbearing external cladding systems fixed to and supported by a structural steel frame.
It is a 4-page digest which presents a new classification system for the fire performance of cladding on multi-storey buildings. It is Illustrated with schematics and graphs showing a typical test facility and describes the test methodology and performance criteria for assessing systems which use framed structures.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- ACM cladding.
- BR 135: Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BS 8414-2: Fire performance of external cladding systems.
- Building Research Establishment.
- External fire spread, Supplementary guidance to BR 187 incorporating probabilistic and time-based approaches.
- External fire spread: building separation and boundary distances (BR 187).
- Grenfell Tower fire.
- Sprinkler systems explained: A guide to sprinkler installation standards and rules.
- The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
Featured articles and news
Partnership avoids the need for listed building consent.
Connecting building design from inception to completion to operations.
Gregor Harvie predicts interoperability will be construction’s Uber moment.
Expert commentary and insight.
Guidance offered for stained glass window maintenance.
Define need before determining viability.
Framework examines social value of projects.
RfX or Request for [fill in the blank].
Organisation establishes Equality, Diversity, Inclusion taskforce.
Government announces plans for new building projects.
Outsourcing method to procure and manage supplies.
Joint support of Local Authority Historic Environment and Conservation Services.
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is an outstanding achievement.
Buildings of the interwar years. Book review.
Ireland’s climate change sectoral adaptation plan.