- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Aug 2017
BR135: Annex B. Performance criteria and classification method for BS 8414-2:2005
On 10 April 2007, BRE published BR135: Annex B. Performance criteria and classification method for BS 8414-2:2005, (Digest 501) by Sarah Colwell.
BR 135: Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, sets out the principles, design methodologies and fire spread performance characteristics for non-loadbearing cladding systems. It was written in response to the increasing use of thermal insulation in the refurbishment of multistorey buildings, which can offer a potential route for the spread of fire.
BR135: Annex B extends the coverage in Annex A of BRE 135 to cover cladding systems supported by a structural steel frame, in line with BS 8414-2:2005 Fire performance of external cladding systems. Part 2: Test method for non-loadbearing external cladding systems fixed to and supported by a structural steel frame.
It is a 4-page digest which presents a new classification system for the fire performance of cladding on multi-storey buildings. It is Illustrated with schematics and graphs showing a typical test facility and describes the test methodology and performance criteria for assessing systems which use framed structures.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- ACM cladding.
- BR 135: Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BS 8414-2: Fire performance of external cladding systems.
- Building Research Establishment.
- External fire spread, Supplementary guidance to BR 187 incorporating probabilistic and time-based approaches.
- External fire spread: building separation and boundary distances (BR 187).
- Grenfell Tower fire.
- Sprinkler systems explained: A guide to sprinkler installation standards and rules.
- The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
Featured articles and news
New BRE book considers the progression from project-based knowledge creation to whole-life urban knowledge management.
This CIOB article explores the concept of value in building design and construction.
BREEAM and Measurabl announce integration to improve the financial performance of commercial real estate.
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners' release new images of soon-to-open 3WTC tower in New York.
A document can be called a bond or a guarantee. Does the name matter and what is the difference between them?
New briefing note is launched focusing on increasing knowledge of housing that promotes health and wellbeing.
Arbitration is a private, contractual form of dispute resolution used in the construction industry.
The European Parliament has approved a revised Energy Performance of Buildings directive.
One in six MPs supports the ring-fencing of retentions as proposed in the 'Aldous Bill'.
A stakeholder is anyone who has an interest in the process or outcome of a construction project.
BRE launches online self-assessment tool for ethical labour sourcing.