- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 22 Oct 2020
BR135: Annex B. Performance criteria and classification method for BS 8414-2:2005
On 10 April 2007, BRE published BR135: Annex B. Performance criteria and classification method for BS 8414-2:2005, (Digest 501) by Sarah Colwell.
BR 135: Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, sets out the principles, design methodologies and fire spread performance characteristics for non-loadbearing cladding systems. It was written in response to the increasing use of thermal insulation in the refurbishment of multistorey buildings, which can offer a potential route for the spread of fire.
BR135: Annex B extends the coverage in Annex A of BRE 135 to cover cladding systems supported by a structural steel frame, in line with BS 8414-2:2005 Fire performance of external cladding systems. Part 2: Test method for non-loadbearing external cladding systems fixed to and supported by a structural steel frame.
It is a 4-page digest which presents a new classification system for the fire performance of cladding on multi-storey buildings. It is Illustrated with schematics and graphs showing a typical test facility and describes the test methodology and performance criteria for assessing systems which use framed structures.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- ACM cladding.
- BR 135: Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BS 8414-2: Fire performance of external cladding systems.
- Building Research Establishment.
- External fire spread, Supplementary guidance to BR 187 incorporating probabilistic and time-based approaches.
- External fire spread: building separation and boundary distances (BR 187).
- Grenfell Tower fire.
- Sprinkler systems explained: A guide to sprinkler installation standards and rules.
- The role of codes, standards and approvals in delivering fire safety.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
Featured articles and news
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.
Institute applauds funding initiatives but presses for additional retrofit and tax measures.
The switch from analogue to digital has begun.
The fourth industrial revolution is well underway.
Free online resource will offer guidance on conserving places and the planet during COP26.