- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 15 Oct 2020
External fire spread: building separation and boundary distances (BR 187)
External fire spread: building separation and boundary distances (BR 187) was published by BRE on 16 June 2014. It was written by Richard Chitty.
The aim of calculating building separation distances is to ensure that ignition of a building adjacent to a fire is delayed sufficiently to allow the fire and rescue service to arrive and take preventative action. The 68 page guide BR 187 describes methods for calculating adequate space separation between buildings.
BR 187 was first published in 1991, when it was a two-part guide. Now in its second edition, it has been merged into one part, and substantially updated and improved:
- It has expanded sections, including flame projection from windows.
- It provides more methods of calculation and more illustrative examples.
- It updates the theoretical background.
- It presents detailed analysis of methods so users can create their own fire engineering software.
- It uses more recent experimental data.
- It defines thermal radiation and associated terminology.
- It includes the background to methods 1 and 2 of approved document B of the building regulations.
- It describes the development of boundary distance requirements in the building regulations since World War II because of its relevance to the redevelopment of sites containing existing buildings.
The contents of the guide include:
- National building regulation guidance.
- Glossary of terms, and symbols.
- Calculation methods.
- Case studies.
- Fire engineering approaches.
- Appendix A: Transfer of heat by thermal radiation.
- Appendix B: External flaming.
- Appendix C: Evolution of ‘simple’ methods in Approved Document B.
- Tables for calculations.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Automatic fire detection and alarm systems, an introductory guide to components and systems BR 510.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Building boundary.
- Building Research Establishment.
- External fire spread, Supplementary guidance to BR 187 incorporating probabilistic and time-based approaches
- Fire in buildings.
- Fire and rescue service.
- Fire compartmentation.
- Fire dampers.
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, third edition (BR 135).
- Fire protection engineering.
- Fire safety design.
- Joint fire code.
- Site of a building.
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
- Wet riser.
Featured articles and news
Complete list of 2021 winners now available.
Recognising past and present role models for the future.
So why not write something?
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.