- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 26 Feb 2019
External fire spread: building separation and boundary distances (BR 187)
External fire spread: building separation and boundary distances (BR 187) was published by BRE on 16 June 2014. It was written by Richard Chitty.
The aim of calculating building separation distances is to ensure that ignition of a building adjacent to a fire is delayed sufficiently to allow the fire and rescue service to arrive and take preventative action. The 68 page guide BR 187 describes methods for calculating adequate space separation between buildings.
BR 187 was first published in 1991, when it was a two-part guide. Now in its second edition, it has been merged into one part, and substantially updated and improved:
- It has expanded sections, including flame projection from windows.
- It provides more methods of calculation and more illustrative examples.
- It updates the theoretical background.
- It presents detailed analysis of methods so users can create their own fire engineering software.
- It uses more recent experimental data.
- It defines thermal radiation and associated terminology.
- It includes the background to methods 1 and 2 of approved document B of the building regulations.
- It describes the development of boundary distance requirements in the building regulations since World War II because of its relevance to the redevelopment of sites containing existing buildings.
The contents of the guide include:
- National building regulation guidance.
- Glossary of terms, and symbols.
- Calculation methods.
- Case studies.
- Fire engineering approaches.
- Appendix A: Transfer of heat by thermal radiation.
- Appendix B: External flaming.
- Appendix C: Evolution of ‘simple’ methods in Approved Document B.
- Tables for calculations.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Automatic fire detection and alarm systems, an introductory guide to components and systems BR 510.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Building boundary.
- Building Research Establishment.
- External fire spread, Supplementary guidance to BR 187 incorporating probabilistic and time-based approaches
- Fire in buildings.
- Fire and rescue service.
- Fire compartmentation.
- Fire dampers.
- Fire detection and alarm system.
- Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, third edition (BR 135).
- Fire protection engineering.
- Fire safety design.
- Joint fire code.
- Site of a building.
- The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
- Understanding the factors affecting flashover of a fire in modern buildings.
- Wet riser.
Featured articles and news
We have a great range of introductory articles written by ECA.
7 of the most common myths, busted.
Consider a career in the electrotechnical industry.
Exploring local assets of community significance. Book review.
Wood-burning stoves should not be used in thatch-roofed buildings.
Servitisation, smart systems and connectivity.
What happens to the Construction Products Regulation if there is no Brexit deal.
The first step to long-term prosperity.
The status and rights of employees in construction
Continuing to share environmental best practice.
The employee assistance programme EAP.