- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 Sep 2019
‘Insurer’ (sometimes called the insurance provider, insurance company or underwriter) refers to a company that provides various types of insurance policy to indemnify individuals, groups, organisations, government agencies and other bodies. Such insurance policies can provide cover – and may pay out – in cases of ill health, job loss, accidents, theft, property damage, professional liability and other instances where individuals and companies may face heavy losses if uninsured.
The insurer is not the same as the insurance broker or agent. The latter advises those seeking to buy insurance, arranges cover and passes on the ‘premium’ (plus commission for their effort) to the insurer.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 3D animation for insurance risk analysis.
- Building Users' Insurance Against Latent Defects.
- Collateral warranties.
- Contractors' all-risk insurance.
- Contract works insurance.
- Decennial liability.
- Design liability.
- Directors and officers insurance.
- Employer's liability insurance.
- Flood insurance.
- Future of construction insurance.
- Integrated project insurance.
- Joint names policy.
- Legal indemnities.
- Legal indemnity insurance.
- Non-negligent liability insurance.
- Performance bond.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance.
- Public liability insurance.
- Residual value insurance.
Featured articles and news
Country moves one step closer to creating independent body.
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.
How Paul Williams bent over backwards to overcome racial barriers.
Organisation revises actions around dealing with COVID-19.
CIOB, NFCC, RIBA, RICS call for changes ahead of Building Safety Bill.
Developments in the Future Homes Standard.