- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 May 2020
In its broadest sense, the word 'liability' refers to a responsibility placed on someone, or something that places them at a disadvantage.
Liability has a number of more specific meanings, depending on the context in which it is used:
- A legal liability is a legally-bound obligation to pay debts or fulfill other obligations.
- A public liability is part of the law of tort which focuses on civil wrongs. See Tort and Public liability insurance for more information.
- Financial liability refers to the financial responsibilities one entity has to another, such as; borrowing to improving a business, or a transaction or other event that has already occurred but has not been paid for. Financial liabilities might be current (i.e. wages, taxes, accounts payable, and so on), or long-term (i.e. long-term bonds, long-term leases, pension obligations, and so on).
More detailed examples include:
- Defects liability. See defects liability period for more information.
- Liability for building design.
- Defective premises liability. See Defective premises - liability and measure of damages for more information.
- Joint and several liability.
- Architects liability.
- Vicarious liability
- Employers’ liability. See Employers’ liability insurance for more information.
- Strict liability.
NB The UN Procurement Practitioner's Handbook, produced by the Interagency Procurement Working Group (IAPWG) in 2006 and updated in 2012 defines liability as: ‘Any obligation incurred as a result of law, rule or agreement; being legally obliged and responsible; a debt or an obligation to another party.’
Featured articles and news
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.