- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 06 Aug 2019
Employers’ liability insurance
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
Employers’ liability (EL) insurance is compulsory for all employers under the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act. All firms who employ staff are legally required to hold employers liability Insurance.
All employers must get employers’ liability insurance as soon as they become an employer. The policy must cover them for at least £5 million and come from an authorised insurer. Employers can check to see if their insurer is authorised by looking at the Financial Conduct Authority register or by contacting the Financial Conduct Authority.
Employers can be fined £2,500 every day they are not properly insured. Employers can also be fined £1,000 if they do not display their EL certificate or refuse to make it available to inspectors when they ask.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 3D animation for insurance risk analysis.
- Building Users' Insurance Against Latent Defects.
- Contractors' all-risk insurance.
- Contract works insurance.
- Directors and officers insurance.
- Flood insurance.
- Insurance for building design and construction.
- Integrated project insurance.
- JCT Clause 6.5.1 Insurance.
- Latent defects insurance.
- Legal indemnities.
- Making sure your builder has appropriate insurance.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance.
- Public liability insurance.
- Residual value insurance.
- Single project professional indemnity insurance
 External references
Featured articles and news
Technology informs procurement and planning practices.
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?