- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Sep 2015
Management contract: production information
This stage is concerned with preparing the information that the works contractors will need to construct the project. It should also include the completion of applications for statutory approvals. Within this plan the management contractor is appointed on completion of concept design. Earlier or later appointment will result in some activities being re-allocated between the consultant team and the management contractor (for example the role of cost consultant).
The lead consultant co-ordinates a work stage start-up meeting with the client, management contractor and the consultant team to pass on feedback from the previous stage and agree the programme for the preparation of production information, along with its format, identification of any work packages, sequencing and co-ordination procedures, including co-ordinating and integrating information from specialist works contractors.
There should be a particular emphasis on equipment with long manufacturing times such as switchgear, chiller units, lifts, escalators and bespoke cladding systems, some of which may justify early ordering. The front-end construction work of service diversions, demolition, setting out, underground drainage, piling and groundworks may merit placing of preliminary contracts.
 Agreeing tendering and construction procedures.
- The possible use of preliminary contracts (for works such as ground exploration, demolition, decontamination or site clearance).
- The possibility of ordering long-lead items (such as switchgear, transformers, or booking piling rigs).
- The form of contract and contract conditions for works contracts (if this has not already been agreed).
- The nature of warranties and performance bonds that will be required from works contractors.
- Exclusions from the contract.
- The date of possession and any phasing requirements.
- Tender procedures and the tender period.
- Any client contributions required for the contract documents.
- Insurance of the works.
- The need to appoint site inspectors.
- The need to appoint party wall surveyor(s) or rights of light surveyors.
 Preparing production information and completing statutory approvals.
The lead designer co-ordinates:
- The preparation and integration of production information. Any gaps in this information that will require specialist input after a tender process should be clearly defined, showing abutment details to adjacent work faces and how such work is integrated into the overall scheme.
- The preparation of schedules of inspections and tests, mock ups and samples.
- The preparation of a draft building user's guide and a building log book.
- The establishment of quality control systems and setting out criteria.
- Outstanding information needed for building regulations and other statutory approvals (such as negotiations with the Highways England, structural calculations, CO2 emission rate and a list of specifications used in the CO2 emission rate calculations) which must be submitted before works start on site.
The management contractor develops the draft preliminaries document, draft tender documents and proposed contract conditions for the works contracts (including relevant pre-construction services) and assesses any changes relative to the approximate quantities cost plan.
The lead consultant co-ordinates the preparation of a production information report for the client including any remaining components, assemblies, specialist items, samples or materials still requiring approval by client.
Featured articles and news
What benefits does BIM bring to construction projects?
New Wiki site is set to make BIM mainstream.
Designing offices to benefit employee performance.
And the award winners for 2019 are...
Articles of agreement
Guidance for local authorities and consultancies setting planning conditions.
A real deal – at last?
How does anastylosis help in the reconstructing of ancient monuments?
More than just aesthetic and historic values and meanings.
An exciting and novel collaboration between the RIBA and the SPAB.
Republic of Ireland updates to planning and development.