- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 01 Mar 2021
House Styles Around the World
To help develop this article click 'Edit this article' above.
- The wooden chalet has been a popular style in Europe’s alpine regions for centuries. Ski resorts around the world mimic the chalet style for their slopeside condos.
- The Hanok is a signature Korean home often featuring a curved roof. Hanoks are typically built with raw materials – like timber, soil, and rock – that are all-natural, recyclable, and don’t cause pollution.
USA and Canada:
- A building style that has become more popular in areas of the Southwest and Midwest U.S. in recent years is the barndominium. Traditionally, barndominiums were wooden barns that had been converted into living space, but modern barndominiums are now being built with steel frames, roofing, and siding in custom designs for more versatile and adaptable residential space.
- Bay-and-gable is a distinct architectural style common in Toronto and other areas of Ontario. The most prominent feature is a large bay window in the front, surmounted by a gable roof. These were often built as semi-detached rows of homes, and suited the layout of Toronto’s long and narrow lots.
- The Hong Kong shophouse.
- Singapore shophouses.
- A-frame house.
- Double fronted house.
- British post-war mass housing.
- Types of dwelling.
- Types of building.
- Architectural styles.
- English architectural stylistic periods.
- Earth building.
- Identifying non-traditional houses in the UK 1918-75.
Featured articles and news
IHBC members encouraged to update violations database.
Non-obtrusive security sensors can help deter intruders.
Adopting a fabric first approach to efficiency.
Government emphasises training for construction and engineering trades.
ECA and SELECT offer assistance to members set back by delays.
The virtual learning event examines Historic Places - People Places.
Getting post-pandemic infrastructure on the right track.
One of England's grandest country houses.
Take just two minutes to provide your feedback.
An update of standards and regulations is under consideration.
Exploring the key to the adoption of this abundant energy source.
His clients have ranged from Liberace to St Nick to world-class athletes.