- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 08 May 2019
House Styles Around the World
To help develop this article click 'Edit this article' above.
- The wooden chalet has been a popular style in Europe’s alpine regions for centuries. Ski resorts around the world mimic the chalet style for their slopeside condos.
- The Hanok is a signature Korean home often featuring a curved roof. Hanoks are typically built with raw materials – like timber, soil, and rock – that are all-natural, recyclable, and don’t cause pollution.
USA and Canada:
- A building style that has become more popular in areas of the Southwest and Midwest U.S. in recent years is the barndominium. Traditionally, barndominiums were wooden barns that had been converted into living space, but modern barndominiums are now being built with steel frames, roofing, and siding in custom designs for more versatile and adaptable residential space.
- Bay-and-gable is a distinct architectural style common in Toronto and other areas of Ontario. The most prominent feature is a large bay window in the front, surmounted by a gable roof. These were often built as semi-detached rows of homes, and suited the layout of Toronto’s long and narrow lots.
- The Hong Kong shophouse.
- Singapore shophouses.
- A-frame house.
- Double fronted house.
- British post-war mass housing.
- Types of dwelling.
- Types of building.
- Architectural styles.
- English architectural stylistic periods.
- Earth building.
- Identifying non-traditional houses in the UK 1918-75.
Featured articles and news
A history lesson in geographic information systems.
A low tech, easy to use method of extinguishing small fires.
How can these valued spaces be reused?
Partnership avoids the need for listed building consent.
Connecting building design from inception to completion to operations.
Gregor Harvie predicts interoperability will be construction’s Uber moment.
Expert commentary and insight.
Guidance offered for stained glass window maintenance.
Define need before determining viability.
Framework examines social value of projects.
RfX or Request for [fill in the blank].
Organisation establishes Equality, Diversity, Inclusion taskforce.
Government announces plans for new building projects.
Outsourcing method to procure and manage supplies.