- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 01 Mar 2021
House Styles Around the World
To help develop this article click 'Edit this article' above.
- The wooden chalet has been a popular style in Europe’s alpine regions for centuries. Ski resorts around the world mimic the chalet style for their slopeside condos.
- The Hanok is a signature Korean home often featuring a curved roof. Hanoks are typically built with raw materials – like timber, soil, and rock – that are all-natural, recyclable, and don’t cause pollution.
USA and Canada:
- A building style that has become more popular in areas of the Southwest and Midwest U.S. in recent years is the barndominium. Traditionally, barndominiums were wooden barns that had been converted into living space, but modern barndominiums are now being built with steel frames, roofing, and siding in custom designs for more versatile and adaptable residential space.
- Bay-and-gable is a distinct architectural style common in Toronto and other areas of Ontario. The most prominent feature is a large bay window in the front, surmounted by a gable roof. These were often built as semi-detached rows of homes, and suited the layout of Toronto’s long and narrow lots.
- The Hong Kong shophouse.
- Singapore shophouses.
- A-frame house.
- Double fronted house.
- British post-war mass housing.
- Types of dwelling.
- Types of building.
- Architectural styles.
- English architectural stylistic periods.
- Earth building.
- Identifying non-traditional houses in the UK 1918-75.
Featured articles and news
Smart motorway strategies.
Actuate UK urges change of deadline to at least December 2022.
Study shows harmful impact of late payments on SME personnel.
Upcoming changes to the commercial supply and purchase of chemicals.
CLC introduces card for learners.
CIOB members recognised for public procurement.
Experts discuss the complex issues damaging the supply chain.
The co-founder of Get Kids into Survey discusses career paths for kids.
Report examines lack of detail in the Government's vision.
Our director Gregor Harvie hosts 4 webinars at the IHBC marketplace on Friday.
Look up construction terms on any website direct from your browser.
The revival of the public sphere in Toronto.
The story behind the copycat architecture craze.
Insight into construction materials supply and demand issues.