- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Nov 2020
Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme ESOS
Article 8 of the European Union (EU) Energy Efficiency Directive (2012/27/EU), requires that member states introduce regular energy audits for large enterprises with more than 250 employees or turnover exceeding €50m (that is, enterprises other than small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)). This is intended to encourage the uptake of cost-effective energy-efficiency measures. These audits must be undertaken by 5 December 2015, and then every four years after that. The scheme does not extend to public bodies and does not require that energy saving measures reccomended as a result of an audit are actually implemented.
In the UK, the government believes this offers significant opportunities for improving competitiveness and contributing to growth. The directive is implemented through an Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS).
- Be carried out by and approved ESOS assessor.
- Review the total energy use and energy efficiency of the organisation.
- Recommend cost-effective measures to save energy and money.
The government intends that the ESOS:
- Provides high-quality and well-targeted advice.
- Ensures a proportionate approach to implementation, minimising the administrative burden.
- Ensures the ESOS compliments existing energy efficiency and climate change policy.
- Avoids ‘gold plating’ that disadvantages UK businesses.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Climate Change Act.
- Code for sustainable homes.
- Energy audit.
- Emission rates.
- Energy targets.
- Energy performance certificates.
- Green deal.
- Performance gap.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.
- Zero carbon homes.
- Zero carbon non-domestic buildings.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.